Painting Specifics

Hello to all,

I'm sort of new on these forums. That is, I've looked through them for a while for research and to get ideas, but have never actually posted. So, being pretty new to customizing guitars I have a few questions. I'm in the process of sanding down the finish on my old strat copy, and am just sort of thinking ahead to the painting process. I was wondering, after all of the original finish is stripped, can I just essentially put a coat of regular primer on the body, and then put a coat or two of white paint down, and then draw whatever it is that I want to put on the guitar in markers/pencil/paint, and then seal it with lacquer or poly? Will this work and look good, or should I go about it in a different fashion?

Also, though this is getting a bit ahead of myself, if I wanted to apply a custom inlay of some sort to the fretboard, would I be forced to get a new fretboard, or would I be able to utilize the existing fretboard, and just incorporate the dots that are already in place into whatever design I eventually use?

Thanks for any help, and I'm sure I'll be back eventually with more questions :D

I'm sort of new on these forums. That is, I've looked through them for a while for research and to get ideas, but have never actually posted. So, being pretty new to customizing guitars I have a few questions. I'm in the process of sanding down the finish on my old strat copy, and am just sort of thinking ahead to the painting process. I was wondering, after all of the original finish is stripped, can I just essentially put a coat of regular primer on the body, and then put a coat or two of white paint down, and then draw whatever it is that I want to put on the guitar in markers/pencil/paint, and then seal it with lacquer or poly? Will this work and look good, or should I go about it in a different fashion?

Without going into too much detail. Depending on the state of the finish already on the guitar you have the option of just rubbing back the original finish with wet and dry (something like 600 grade) and priming, without necessarily taking all the original finish off back to the wood (if that's what you were intending to do). If the finish is really badly chipped and dented it might be worth taking it right back, but even then, rubbing back, filling and priming might still be the way to go.

Once it's primed (I'm presuming you're talking about automotive primer here), as long as your primer, your white basecoat/s and any paints you're planning to use in creating your artwork are compatible you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to clearcoating.

Jim

Edited by Foggy

Another +1 to Jim and a +1 on the dust coats.

For the fretboard, you are going to have at tough time working around the dots, but with patience it can be done. The hardest part is going to be keeping the neck from rocking while you work. Then you'll need a flat base on both sides of the neck at the same height, to have something for the dremel router base to rest on. Otherwise the curved, fretboard with frets is going to be extremely difficult to inlay into.

+1 on what Jim said.

I'll only add that if you're clearing over any sort of marker, you should first shoot "dust coats" to help lock-in the ink.

If you shoot wet coats from the start, the ink may have a tendency to run.

ps: wazzup Kammo1! B)

Hey Dino I'm fine bro :D Hey guys our good friend Dino does some amazing guitar finishing work as well and I'm sure you have all seen the projects he has done over the years and a great standup guy who will pass on some very,very good info if it has been done Dino's probably done it a true credit to the luthiery world :D