Building An Amp

trashman

is it possible to turn an old stereo (about ten yrs old) into a low watt amp? i have these 2 small speakers (about 5 0r 6 inch) and an old stereo and i wanted to use the old speakers for a low wattage amp. i just dont want to buy an am kit yet till i get better with electronics work. its a fairly uncomplicated solid state stereo. any help would be awesome :D

Kind of...but it may not be any good so I wouldn't put a lot of work or thought into it like reboxing it. You will most likely need a preamp, a stompbox might surfice...but very few stereos are built to take the high impedance signals directly from the guitar. Also, such small speakers built for stereo amps can't take the brute force of guitar in general or reproduce the full spectrum and dynamics that are demanded. There is also quite a difference in the power required or produced in stereo systems...different ways of rating wattages and the kind of signals they need to deal with.

just a few thoughts...

pete

i don't know if your trying to save money or what i guess if you can converting for a couple of bucks and have fun doing it go for it but i think you will be disapointed. guitar amps are not hifi amps they are really pretty crude if you think about it. you would probably be better off hitting the pawn shop and finding a cheap ss amp if thats all you want.

no actually i allready have a line 6 head and a marshall 4x12, i just had this stuff sitting around and was wondering if it would be possible is all. it sounds pretty difficult anyway and is not really a big deal, just curious, anyway thanks for all the replies guys. its good to know you can still find people to be helpful on the information superhiway. thanks again.