3rd Project: 4 String Chambered Bass

Excellent! I love the star grounding on the back of the pot....very impressive!

Is that considered a better method or you just like it more?

I finally finished it.

here are the specs:

body: hollow chambered Black limba / Imbuya top.

neck: Wenge / Ziricote fretboard, MOP side dots, bone nut, jumbo fretwire, double action truss rod.

hardware: Hipshot supertone bridge (optional strings through body), Hipshot ultralight tuners, Schaller straplocks.

pickups: Nordstrand dual coils.

electronics: series/split/parallel mini-switch for each pickup, active/passive circuit selector switch, passive circuit (volume, balance, tone), ACG active preamp (volume/balance, bass filter stack, treble filter stack)

finish: tru-oil

the sound is deep yet punchy (very deep-rounded bass with low-mid punch), a bit on the dark side ( :D ) with the passive circuit, but the active preamp can twist the sound to be whatever you want it to be. I think it's nice to have two totally different "vibes" in the same instrument. overall I'm very pleased with how it sounds.

and here are some pics:

1.jpg

P1000208s.jpg

P1000211s.jpg

P1000234s.jpg

P1000243s.jpg

Edited by avdekan

Awesome bass! I like this calm but interesting design. And the wood choice mathes the design very well.

Can you say why have you chosen these pickups?

thanks, it's nice hearing positive responses.

about the pickups:

I wanted humbucking soapbars in there. didn't want to use EMG, and I figured that Bartolini will accentuate the already wery present (due to the wood selection) low-mids. So my dilemma was between Delano and Nordstrand.

In the end I went for the Nordstrands because of the j-bass vibe (it sounds quite similar to a j-bass pup when split), plus it looks fantastic :D

I think I will also give Delano a try in the future.