3rd Project: 4 String Chambered Bass

Hi

This is my third "from scratch" project and my first (sort of) commission. I'm building it for a friend.

he wanted a simple, chunky, vintage vibe bass, and after several sketches and debates we decided on shape and specs.

The body is black limba with imbuya top, neck is bolt on wenge with ziricote fretboard. At the moment I'm applying tru oil coats, and will post the finished pictures and full specs when it is done.

In the meantime here are some building process pictures:

IMG_6115Large.jpg

IMG_6108Large.jpg

IMG_6113Large.jpg

IMG_9441Large.jpg

IMG_9616Large.jpg

IMG_9617Large.jpg

IMG_9627Large.jpg

IMG_9628Large.jpg

IMG_9629Large.jpg

P.S.

I wanted to carve a recess at the heel but the friend to whom I'm building the bass objected, saying it will ruin the vintage vibe, and since he usually doesn't play at the higher register of the neck, high fret access was not an issue for him.

...Im afraid to ask what all of those knobs are going to be controlling.... :D

The reason for all these knobs is the need for versatility as it's going to be my friend's only bass and he needs it for studio work.

there are two circuits on the bass that you can toggle between: an ACG preamp, and a standard passive circuit (volume/blend/tone). on top of that each pickup has a series/split/parallel switch that comes before the preamp selector switch. the last hole is the output jack.

personally, I would have gone with only the ACG preamp and the series/split/parallel switches, but my friend really wanted a passive circuit added - hence all the knobs.

Edited by avdekan

...Im afraid to ask what all of those knobs are going to be controlling.... :D

The reason for all these knobs is the need for versatility as it's going to be my friend's only bass and he needs it for studio work.

there are two circuits on the bass that you can toggle between: an ACG preamp, and a standard passive circuit (volume/blend/tone). on top of that each pickup has a series/split/parallel switch that comes before the preamp selector switch. the last hole is the output jack.

personally, I would have gone with only the ACG preamp and the series/split/parallel switches, but my friend really wanted a passive circuit added - hence all the knobs.

..sounds like you know what youre doing, ...carry on :D

Now I'm in a dilemma.

I'm in the middle of building tru oil coats (7 so far) and I have two options:

finish the bass in gloss or semi-gloss.

in the semi gloss pictures the lighting makes it a bit blueish, but in reality it looks way better - darker brown with less orange in it than the gloss finish. the gloss pictures are more true to reality.

please share your thoughts on both options.

gloss:

IMG_9691Large.jpg

IMG_9698Large.jpg

semi:

IMG_9699Large.jpg

IMG_9706Large.jpg

Edited by avdekan

I've always liked oil finishes... and especially those on basses, not to be glossy... it just fits to me.

Chris

+1 go satin on a bass , gloss is yesterdays finish, LOL

What does the guy want?

Personally, I like gloss.

-Stormy

the guy said "just do what you see fit".

to me the gloss finish, although looking very attractive, is a bit too "bling", while the semi-gloss has more "style" to it.

If the hardware was going to be golden, I think the gloss finish would be more true to its pimpish nature, but since he chose to go with chrome hardware in order to avoid this particular look, I think that satin finish would be more appropriate, so I'm leaning toward that option right now (although I realize it's the minority's opinion).

Is that bridge route for the Hipshot supertone bridge (or whatever it's called - their replacement for the old gibson bass bridges.) Curious as to your opinion on it, it's piqued my interest since I saw it.

Is that bridge route for the Hipshot supertone bridge (or whatever it's called - their replacement for the old gibson bass bridges.) Curious as to your opinion on it, it's piqued my interest since I saw it.

It is a rout for a supertone bridge, and I haven't seen it in action yet because the bass is not finished, but I can give you my thoughts on it so far:

It's a big chunk of metal, bigger that I thought it would be, but surprisingly light for it's size (I think it's aluminum).

It's very well made (as are all of Hipshot's products I've seen so far) and the finish is very good.

The strings sit very high on this bridge (about 17mm going from memory) - hence the rout. I asked Hipshot for a dxf file of the bridge's outline so I could laser-cut a template and they were kind enough to send me the file right away. great customer service.

The underside of the bridge has three recesses (for the three original gibson studs), and it's mounted using only the rear two (I guess it's ok because the front end of the bridge is being pushed down by the strings). Because there is a ~3mm gap between the surface the bridge sits on and the floor of the recesses at the bridge's bottom, when I mounted the bridge onto the bass the screws pulled the bushings (which were sitting tightly in their holes) out. I think the recesses are necessary when you retrofit the bridge on a Gibson,but on a new build there is no point to them. I guess I'll just have to glue the bushings in place because of that.