Two Schaller Fr Questions

Hi. I have searched and read countless forums and websites over the past few weeks, but still am unable to find specific answers to these:

1) On a Schaller Floyd Rose, that is the distance from the mounting pin center to where the bridge line should be? The FR site gives me every measurement but that. ...And center lines :D I can't get get an accurate measurement at all.

2) This is a scratch build. Should I rout a recess in the body for the trem (as if fitting on a Strat)? Or should I angle the neck? What kind of angle would I need on a 22 fret 24 3/4 scale neck? FR trems are pretty high, so I'm afraid of needing too much angle if I do not recess it.

Aside from being a scratch build, it is also my first build. I don't even have similar guitars at hand to compare with, so I am kind of working in the dark.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

1) On a Schaller Floyd Rose, that is the distance from the mounting pin center to where the bridge line should be? The FR site gives me every measurement but that. ...And center lines :D I can't get get an accurate measurement at all.

Using the StewMac scale calculator you should position your studs 24.204" (±0.030") for a 24.75" scale guitar with a Schaller Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo Complete Set. I realize you are looking for the distance but this tells you were to put it.

StewMac calculator

2) This is a scratch build. Should I rout a recess in the body for the trem (as if fitting on a Strat)? Or should I angle the neck? What kind of angle would I need on a 22 fret 24 3/4 scale neck? FR trems are pretty high, so I'm afraid of needing too much angle if I do not recess it.

Recessing tremolos requires enough depth in the body blank. As for neck angle I use about 2 degrees but you should figure out exactly what you need. There is a tutorial on neck angle that is what you need. Neck Angle Tutorial

The block is 1-5/8" (41.28mm) deep so if you recess it into your body 3/16" you will need to be at least 1 7/8" in the center of your body.

Full Schematics of Schaller Tremolo

Using the StewMac scale calculator you should position your studs 24.204" (±0.030") for a 24.75" scale guitar with a Schaller Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo Complete Set. I realize you are looking for the distance but this tells you were to put it.

StewMac calculator

I did look at this and you give me (at least an implied) recomendation that it is accurate. :D I'm full of fear at actually drilling or cutting the body yet, so I was looking for every cross-referencing measurement I could find. I shall place my trust in the guitar gods....

And thanks for this link!! I've been building templates off FR Original specs, making mods where it seemed appropriate. Of course, 'schaller.com' is just an ad site.

Neck is all done, and body shape is cut, but I've been procrastinating anything further. Now, I'm running out of delays. The cutting soon will commence! :D

Edited by Razbo

StewMac calculator

I did look at this and you give me (at least an implied) recomendation that it is accurate. :D I'm full of fear at actually drilling or cutting the body yet, so I was looking for every cross-referencing measurement I could find. I shall place my trust in the guitar gods....

And thanks for this link!! I've been building templates off FR Original specs, making mods where it seemed appropriate. Of course, 'schaller.com' is just an ad site.

Neck is all done, and body shape is cut, but I've been procrastinating anything further. Now, I'm running out of delays. The cutting soon will commence! :D

I have used the Stew Mac calculator before and it works but I always double check before I cut/drill. I usually use the actual bridge and a pair of veneer calipers to check measurements. If you don't have the actual bridge the schematic drawing should be your reference.

Good luck!

StewMac calculator

I have used the Stew Mac calculator before and it works but I always double check before I cut/drill. I usually use the actual bridge and a pair of veneer calipers to check measurements. If you don't have the actual bridge the schematic drawing should be your reference.

Good luck!

Yay! A cross reference. Good idea B) Those schematics will help greatly. Better than trying to span points across varied heights with my calipers and be accurate.

I guess I will have to make a recess no matter what. If it is to float, then it needs room to do that. I will start with a 1/8 rout that will also house the pins. Then the pins can bring it back up level with the surface of the body.

With 1 3/4 to work with, I don't have any play room at all.