I Re-started Work On My Pine Body Telecasters

Well I guess you guys all remember that I started the building of two matching Pinecasters.

100_0956.jpg

My intention was to use up spare parts I had lying around and to have them both in aged natural. But because of me making a HUGE mistake by routing the pickup cavities for 24 fret necks, the project was shelved in favor of the Mahogany Body tele I started to make. Today I took one of the bodies because I once again was a man with a plan.

I filled the pickup cavity and covered it with a piece of maple, I then got out the routing template for strat pickups and went to work.

100_1095.jpg

The fill is clearly visible.

100_1094.jpg

Maybe you can see it but the neck I'm planning to use sat on the imfamous "Pink Nightmare" before.

I'm planning to either finish it baby blue of make it into the "Rasta Frank" Signature model.

Telecasters.jpg

So what do you guys say?

Great except for the knots??

meh... who cares! its a tele made out of pine the way leo intended

maybe we need to start thinking of knots as tone enhancing portals or something equally BSish

soild finish so knots be damned

This is how I see it:

The main reason to use a Pine body is for the natural looks and softer tone.

I know a lot of the guys at the TDPRI are into Pine these days, and that's cool, but you 'left the tracks'.

I'm wondering why you couldn't use a typical Tele bridge and pickguard, finish her off in natural, and have a great looking Telecaster still. The bridge and pickguard would cover up your patch (nice job btw), and still leave you with a great looking natural finished Tele with a nice black guard to compliment the natural color. It would look great I think, and still remain true to what it was going to be in the first place.

Your plan leaves you with a 'mutt', a guitar that has no real heritage, a little of this, a little of that, a mishy-mashy of parts combined, with a very very soft Pine body that will get dented and nickered in no time.

There's nothing wrong with a hybrid guitar if that's what you want, but you're going to find out that Pine is not the best body to use.

You use Pine for a particular reason, and if not using it for that reason, it's better left alone I guess is what I'm saying, and I don't see why you can't still move forward with the original Pine bodied Tele idea you had.

I will leave you with a good idea tho. If you want to go ahead with your plan to paint it, then use A/B Epoxy or CYA glue to seal it before you use any paint, either one will toughen it up as much as can be expected so it doesn't dent as easy.

BTW, I think your roundover is a bit too much roundover for a typical Tele, Teles have very little roundover to them.

Out of the two, I would recommend the CYA, a full bottle of the thin viscosity first to let it soak in and tighten up that Pine, then a bottle of the medium to get a build up so you have something flat to apply your paint to.

A/B epoxy I find doesn't really soak in like CYA glue does, it sits mostly on the surface, and as thin as it will be, won't provide the protection that CYA which has seeped into the body will offer you for toughness.

I would also add a drop of CYA into any screw holes so your screws can have a little bite to them and not strip out so easily.

This is how I see it:

The main reason to use a Pine body is for the natural looks and softer tone.

I know a lot of the guys at the TDPRI are into Pine these days, and that's cool, but you 'left the tracks'.

I'm wondering why you couldn't use a typical Tele bridge and pickguard, finish her off in natural, and have a great looking Telecaster still. The bridge and pickguard would cover up your patch (nice job btw), and still leave you with a great looking natural finished Tele with a nice black guard to compliment the natural color. It would look great I think, and still remain true to what it was going to be in the first place.

Your plan leaves you with a 'mutt', a guitar that has no real heritage, a little of this, a little of that, a mishy-mashy of parts combined, with a very very soft Pine body that will get dented and nickered in no time.

There's nothing wrong with a hybrid guitar if that's what you want, but you're going to find out that Pine is not the best body to use.

Well, I haven't told you what I'm planning with the other pine body. That one WILL get tele pickups and ditto bridge

You use Pine for a particular reason, and if not using it for that reason, it's better left alone I guess is what I'm saying, and I don't see why you can't still move forward with the original Pine bodied Tele idea you had.

I will leave you with a good idea tho. If you want to go ahead with your plan to paint it, then use A/B Epoxy or CYA glue to seal it before you use any paint, either one will toughen it up as much as can be expected so it doesn't dent as easy.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

BTW, I think your roundover is a bit too much roundover for a typical Tele, Teles have very little roundover to them.

On my Pine Tele bodies it's actually the normal standard body rounding. The Mahogany body however is a different case that's where I indeed gave it a very steep rounding. I got the idea from my eighties Ibanez Roadstar, which has a slab body but with very wide and steep roundings, it makes for a very comfortable feel. The Mahogany Tele which also is nearing completion is a heavy guitar but the roundings make it at least comfortable to play.

Tele1.jpg

Tele5.jpg

meh... who cares! its a tele made out of pine the way leo intended

maybe we need to start thinking of knots as tone enhancing portals or something equally BSish

soild finish so knots be damned

Have you ever painted over a pine knot? Thought so.

i am not saying it is ideal. i am not saying its something i would do, but i dont see a problem with it if its what he wants to use.

at least he aint zachery guitars and charging silly money for guitars made from ikea wood.

i have painted enough pine to know what happens over knots. never on a guitar though. if he follows draks advice for sealing the wood with CA or epoxy it will also help that problem a lot too.

If you are using fresh shellac from flakes (recommended), it's not easier, it's actually FAR more time consuming, nor is it cheaper, nor is it necessarily superior in any way from the other two, but is certainly an option.

If you are using it from a can and not dewaxed, it certainly is not superior, possibly cheaper, and may be easier.

I've used all three for many, many years. :D

You can get it in a can, clear & de-waxed. Flexner suggested Zisser, even noting that that brand has a pretty good shelf life (for shellac).

It would have been easier to just choose some better pine boards than have to even worry about knots.

Lets see Knots are filled with resin. When Knots age they dry and crack. There is a very small chance you could stop this from happening.

My 2 cents

Excellent point.

I just thought of something. Drill the knots out out and plug up the holes. Align the grain in the plug with the body

Knots are -one- of the primary reasons to use Pine (for Teles anyway), they lend a certain 'country charm' to a Telecaster.

And knots will dry up, crack and all that other stuff -if left open to the environment-.

A good finish that stops up the pores and stops (or slows down) the water vapor exchange will stop any knot shrinkage.

I still say CYA glue would be the best all-around choice to seal up knots and toughen up the Pine. :D