Explorer Ec Body And Neck For Current Project

Thought I would post some pics of my current project, as the body and neck are close to completion. The penciled in pickups on the body may be premature, because now I'm thinking about using the soon to be released Kinman noiseless P-90 Hx pickups for the bridge and neck, with a Kinman AVN-69 Strat P/U in the middle; controlled by a 5-way Strat switch. I should mention that the neck was just made by Doug@Soulmate with the Triqueta inlays by Brian England's Custom Inlay. Great job Doug! The penciled in Thor's Hammer will be made of some VERY, VERY thin MOP veneer I've seen for sale on ebay.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1274_edited.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1272_edited.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1271_edited.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1277_edited.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1280_edited.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Stol...1278_edited.jpg

Edited by Stolysmaster

Let me know how that Hx-90 sounds in the neck. I was thinking about one for a tele or jag.

Definitely, I will Keegan. Joe at Kinman just wrote to tell me that they will probably cost about $160 each (WOW!!) when they are available in about four weeks.

It will probably be about 2-3 months to completion though. Seeing how you live just down the road from Firestone, I could even let you see it person when its done if you like!

Jesus, $160 for a single pickup? I should hope they're as good as he makes them out to be.

Yeah, me too....because if I rout for them and install them, then don't like them, although I can sell them on ebay and take a financial loss, I will have pickup cavities that will only accomodate a P-90...and I HATE TRUE SINGLE COIL HUM!!! I'll be screwed.

Hmm. Actually, you might not be. I think a p-90 is narrower than the ring for a humbucker. So if you filled the rout with a block and re-routed it it wouldn't be visible.

Or you could try a side-by-side p-90 bucker like Dimarzio has. Or go active with EMGs. Or even try a stacked p-90(though stacked coils tend to suck, to put it mildly).

Not completely screwed, just in a not so desirable situation.

Hmm. Actually, you might not be. I think a p-90 is narrower than the ring for a humbucker. So if you filled the rout with a block and re-routed it it wouldn't be visible.

Or you could try a side-by-side p-90 bucker like Dimarzio has. Or go active with EMGs. Or even try a stacked p-90(though stacked coils tend to suck, to put it mildly).

Not completely screwed, just in a not so desirable situation.

I thought the rout for a P-90 was longer (E to E) than a humbucker? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

It's longer than the humbucker itself, but I think it's still smaller than the ring surrounding the humbucker.

edit: Yeah, it's nearly exactly the same length, but a couple mm smaller. You'd be working within some pretty close tolerances, but it'd be possible for it to be an invisible mod.

Edited by Keegan

Definitely, I will Keegan. Joe at Kinman just wrote to tell me that they will probably cost about $160 each (WOW!!) when they are available in about four weeks.

/snip/

...and I HATE TRUE SINGLE COIL HUM!!!

If you're going to Kinman for the noiseless design, there's something you should know:

Bill Lawrence holds the patent for the SCN Noisless design. He designed them for Fender, makes his own brand of them, and Kinman uses the same concepts.

Now, I'm NOT bad-mouthing Kinman at all. I'm sure his pups sound great. All I'm saying is if it's nosless pups you're looking for, you might be better off going to the guy who designed them. They'd be a dang-sight cheaper as well.

kinmans sound way better than fenders SCN's. dont really care who designed teh concept but kinman certainly do it well

although having said that i would still rather have a pickup thats built the traditional way and has some hum... but if i was going for a noisless design i find kinmans to be the cloest to the sound they are trying to replicate

/snip/

...and I HATE TRUE SINGLE COIL HUM!!!

If you're going to Kinman for the noiseless design, there's something you should know:

Bill Lawrence holds the patent for the SCN Noisless design. He designed them for Fender, makes his own brand of them, and Kinman uses the same concepts.

Now, I'm NOT bad-mouthing Kinman at all. I'm sure his pups sound great. All I'm saying is if it's nosless pups you're looking for, you might be better off going to the guy who designed them. They'd be a dang-sight cheaper as well.

Bill Lawrence does not make a P-90 type pickup, to the best of my knowledge. And for Strat style, having played two of his models and played Kinman's too, I prefer the sound of the Kinmans. Thanks for the input though.

All this talk about pickups and no one has commented on my pics!? Any comments regarding my proposed finish suggestions? :D Or, about whether I should use cream or black pickup covers? The hardware is already purchased and is gold. Any thoughts?

And we're easily distracted by... Ooh, look! Something shiny!

:D

First, I really don't care for mixing the motifs like that - the Christian Triqueta and Thor's Hammer from Norse mythology.

I re-read your posts, but I didn't see anything about a paint scheme. I don't think that gold hardware will limit your palate. With what looks to be a mahogany body, a red/yellow dye on the top with a red "heritage cherry" dye on the mahogany would look gorgeous with the gold HW.

I like the HSS combo you have outlined. I don't recall ever seeing it on an Explorer, so I say go for it and save the P-90s for another guitar.

And we're easily distracted by... Ooh, look! Something shiny!

:D

First, I really don't care for mixing the motifs like that - the Christian Triqueta and Thor's Hammer from Norse mythology.

I re-read your posts, but I didn't see anything about a paint scheme. I don't think that gold hardware will limit your palate. With what looks to be a mahogany body, a red/yellow dye on the top with a red "heritage cherry" dye on the mahogany would look gorgeous with the gold HW.

I like the HSS combo you have outlined. I don't recall ever seeing it on an Explorer, so I say go for it and save the P-90s for another guitar.

Thanks for the comments. I still may go with the HSS pickup combo. I'm leaning towards a reddish top of some sort, and I do like your idea about dying the back "heritage cherry".

On the motifs: The Triqueta (or Triquetra), contrary to what many Christians believe, predates Christianity and was a Celtic symbol for many centuries before Christians ever spread their religion into northern Europe. It is also actually found in some Norse imagery as well. It is agreed upon by many historians that Christians did not adopt this symbol until about the time of Saint Patrick, in order to try and bring more "Pagans" into the new religion by incorporating some of their own imagery. The Celtic and Norse cultures mixed to a large degree in northern Scotland and the Outer Hebrides Islands - where much of my ancestry originates. I am considering using both motifs because my blood is a mix of those cultures; Celtic (predominantly) and some Norse.

Edited by Stolysmaster