Tunings Switching/quick Change

cncbcncb

i've been looking into the discontinued fender vg strat/gibson dark fire and robots/ and variax modeling guitars. i think that each guitar concept has some really cool concepts, but for this thread i am only focusing on the different tunings aspect.

1. is the only way to have a switching system for tunings directly on your guitar through the installation of a piezo system?

-(i realize that there are a number of d-tuna/sperzel d-thing/etc. systems out there; i am interested in having many tuning switching options here, not just one.)

2. if i am only interested in the tuning aspect here, could the same thing be easier achieved through a floor pedal that deals with tuning?

any info is appreciated.

the reason for the piezo system is to pickup each string by it's self. with piezos on each string, the E string wont be heard through the A strings piezo.

Sorry if I am explaining things to you, that you already know. I am not sure how to comment on the question.

My limited info on these tunning changes leads me to think the only other way is with a midi synth system, like the VG-8, which uses a gk-2 pickup.

gk-2 pickup is basically mini humbuckers for each string similar to the piezo layout.

For question 2, I dont know if floor pedal means a midi type unit?

thanks for the reply. i guess to clarify, i'll just tell you what i want the end result to be.

i want to take the alternate tuning switch off the fender vg. i just think it is a cool idea to rotate different tunings back and forth like that.

from what i can see, fender does it by processing what is picked up by the piezo pickup, and modeling that to sound different, where as the gibson version in a way measures what the piezo picks up and then turns the guitar's tuners to be on the tuning you want to switch to.

i guess both in the end do the same thing. fender by sound and gibson by mechanics. it would seem the gibson tuners would be quite spendy ($900 i think.)

what i meant by the foot pedal question is, if you are using the piezo and all this equipment to model your sound to other things, is there an easy way to do the same thing? i.e.-guitar to some sort of pedal system (like those digitech, or boss, or even roland systems) to amp. those model your sound to sound like certain amps. are there any/some/all (i don't know) that deal with the different tunings that the fender VG will give you. if they did and all you had to do was put it between you and the amp, that would be much easier to do the same thing.

in reply to keegen:

you were saying that yeah, you can just tund to drop d or something else by hand. i get that, what i'm wondering is which pedal system could be between you and the amp so you just keep playing and be able to scroll through tunings with a footwhitch on the fly?

Then yes, the roland vg-88 can do it. it is done by synth technology. Just like a variax.

so you can install the gk-2 pickup on your guitar, and with a foot switch you can change presets, and the string tunnings by electronics.

2 bass strings, 4 guitar strings... and whatever else along with other sets of effects.

I dont know if digitech or boss has this technology out there yet.

The cheapest way is probably a variax guitar. Some guys get the cheap model and put the guts in a good guitar.

By the time you go through all that is necessary, it won't be any cheaper than finding a leftover VG or a used one. I hear they're getting rid of leftovers for around $999. What's a Variax go for?

It could be done 100% DIY. All you need is a PHD in electronic engineering, a purple heart, and the key to the city. :D

variax on average for the base model is around 800new

Wow.. prices have gone up! I got a lefty 500 model for about $300 a while back. Musicians Friend was blowing them out.

There's also Hipshots Trilogy bridge. I've wanted to try that for a while now.

If you aren't looking for dramatic tuning changes, simply shifting the whole register up or down, some of the digital pedals are very good sounding these days. I have an Electro Harmonix HOG, and it does a great job. I can't do on the fly tuning changes into say, open slide tuning or something, but shifting up and down and having multiple voices and stuff does get you a lot of cool sounds. Plus it does lots of other neat stuff.

variax on average for the base model is around 800new

Wow.. prices have gone up! I got a lefty 500 model for about $300 a while back. Musicians Friend was blowing them out.

yeah, I was thinking of getting the cheap $300.00 model and gutting it.

I cant even find that one anywhere.