Finally Finished!

First I want to say thanks to all those who provided guidance with my construction and part selection questions regarding this project.

Every guitar I owned had a Floyd… so I wanted something different… that is why I went w/ a fixed bridge. Also, I wanted something unique but I didn’t have the time to do a scratch build so I used/modified existing parts where I could to get what I wanted.

Here is the parts listing :

Fender Heartfield Body:

Originally it was routed for a Floyd and a HSH pickup configuration. I wanted a fixed bridge and a dual humbucker config so I made some modifications to the body to make it happen... I filled in the cavities for the trem and the single coil in the middle.

Peavey Patriot Neck (I think):

I had to sculpt the neck to mate w/ the AANJ joint of the body.

Spirzel Tuners:

I know… what is the point of having locking tuners w/ no trem? I wanted solid tuning and this is exactly what I got!

Bridge:

I liked a few of the older Ibanez Gibralter fixed bridges but I couldn’t find any for sale. So after an exhaustive search I concluded no one made a bridge that I liked for this guitar. I had to reach back to my high school drafting skills to sketch up a draft of what I wanted and had a machinist custom make one for me. I “borrowed” the saddles from another bridge I had laying around the house. The strings load from the back of the body.

Pickguard:

Again I went for something unique. I used an old one that I hacked up to make it work… when I get a chance I will get one made… probably out of anodized aluminum.

Pickup Rings:

I had to use over-sized ones to cover the large holes that were previously covered by the old pickguard.

Electronics:

I wanted something simple that would give me the sound I was looking for. I went w/ a pair of Bill Lawrence and just a volume knob and a 3 way selector for controls.

Paint:

I didn’t want anything fancy so I just went w/ a black matte. The white dust that is visible on the body is pick dust.

IMG_3875.jpg

CopyofIMG_3876-1.jpg

CopyofIMGP1075.jpg

CopyofIMG_3879.jpg

Final Thoughts:

This was a fun project and the guitar plays well and sounds like a beast. I just keep grabbing for the whammy bar that isn’t there!

Thanks for the kind words. As far as the upside-down mounting of the bridge pickup... I mounted it how Dimebag Darrell had it in his Dean's.

I am a big fan of his and I wanted to emulate his sound. I pretty much nailed it with these pickups. I don't know if the upside-down placement had anything to do with it... but like I said I am happy w/ the sound so I am not going to change a thing!

I tried to find a link to the Guitar World interview where he explained why he did this but I couldn't find one. Pretty much every retailer of the pickup sites the interview. Follow this link to read why Dimebag mounted his bridge pick up upside down:

http://www.musicbizness.com/bill-lawrence-...ckup-p-300.html

Thanks for the kind words. As far as the upside-down mounting of the bridge pickup... I mounted it how Dimebag Darrell had it in his Dean's.

I am a big fan of his and I wanted to emulate his sound. I pretty much nailed it with these pickups. I don't know if the upside-down placement had anything to do with it... but like I said I am happy w/ the sound so I am not going to change a thing!

I tried to find a link to the Guitar World interview where he explained why he did this but I couldn't find one. Pretty much every retailer of the pickup sites the interview. Follow this link to read why Dimebag mounted his bridge pick up upside down:

http://www.musicbizness.com/bill-lawrence-...ckup-p-300.html

Interesting, :D