For the artists out there

DaveK

O.K. I am going to "raise the bar"

I continue to be impressed & amazed at the quality & artistry of the members of this forum

You guys have done stuff that I always thought was UN ACHIEVEABLE for the common person to do

I am impressed on a regular basis with what creativity has been done !

With that being said, I wanted to submit to the forum a finish that I always thought was to hard to achieve by the likes of mere mortals! :D

I have always wanted to try to achieve this finish on one of my guitars. ESP did one for George Lynch & I fell in love with it!

Marble finish guitars

The only information that I have EVER been able to find on how to do this finish was on the Ed Roman (GACK!) website

He simply states:

"This finish is achieved with tissue paper, cotton balls, a razor blade and gold leaf. Very time consuming and painstaking work"

This is my Holy Grail finish!

Has anyone been able to do something such as this?

If so, how is it done?

I would love to see some photos as well

Thanks for indulging my obsesion!

Dave K

Step 1. - Go to art/hobby supply store.

Step 2. - Ask where they keep their "marblizing kits"

Step 3. - Buy kit and read instructions.

Step 4. - Follow instructions.

I'm not kidding, there are a billion kits out there that are made specifically to achieve that finish. Also, go t a book store and go to the decorating section and look through them. My finace' has a couple of books by (I believe) Debbie Travis which have some super cool finishing techniques in them, one of which I used on my never-ending project RG450.

It CAN'T be that easy!!!! :DB)

Mr. Roman went into a lenghty discussion with me about the EXTREME difficulty of this process & that there were VERY few that could pull such a finish off!

Would you simply apply Clear coat to the Marbelizing once you are done?

Do you have any pictures of your marble project?

Lastly, can you verrify the name of the book that you mentioned as well as the author?

Thanks a MILLION!

Dave

I think it's fair to say that Ed Roman has been caught, uh, exaggerating about things before. I'm not going to call him a bold-faced liar or anything, I'm just saying that I wouldn't believe him before getting a second opinion.

I actually didn't marbalize anything what I did was more of a faux birds eye maple finish. My best friend in college, however, had a buttload of stuff she'd marblized. I'll see if I can post a picture sometime tonight as well as get you the names of the boosks that my fiance has on the subject.

See....now this is what I LOVE about this forum!!! :D

People helping each other achieve what they always wanted!!!

O.K. I'm getting a little mushy here, but I do think this is GREAT that we all help one another out with this "trade secret" type stuff!

I will look forward to any pictures & information you can provide!

Now I would be interested in seeing how you did a faux birds eye maple finish!

How did that come out?

Thanks again

Dave K

Now I would be interested in seeing how you did a faux birds eye maple finish!

How did that come out?

I post a picture when I get home, but we did it two different ways, one on some shelves and one on a guitar.

Basically all you do is put down a base color (if you want it to look kinda like birdseye maple use a white/cream, but you don't HAVE to it could be any color) Then when that dries mix up a concoction of powdered burnt umber pigment, dishwashing detergent and malt vinegar (I forget the exact recipe and again, this is just so it looks like wood, you can use any color pigment you want).

On the shelves we took the burnt umber glaze and applied it directly to the shelves then took our fingers and tapped the shelves to make spots (tapping the wet glaze removes some of it leaving various amounts of the cream base showing). On the guitar I dipped my finger into the glaze and then tapped my fingers onto the guitar (which was old and slightly yellowed) leaving brown spots. I really didn't intend for it to come out looking like BEM but at least 4 people saw it and said "Dude, how hard was it to get that BEM veneer on there?" so I guess it did. After you get all the spots on it let it dry for like 15 minutes, then SPRAY a light coat of clear on it to "set" the finish (I'm saying this mostly if you're doing it on furniture, do NOT brush a poly coat on top of it the second the wet paint hits the glaze the glaze "re-wets" and smudges) . After that you just clear coat it like any other finish.

sherwin williams has all the stuff u need, my mom did it in a room on sheetrock, but it should work out beautifully on a chunk of wood too, just lay down the base coat, then you have to use some other kinda paint, i cant remember and a colored glaze and mix that up, then grab a sponge or a old shirt/rag, depends on what kinda texture your after, or you can use a paintbrush and colorwash it, really nice and dont be repetitive, kinda make random swipes at it, then i would assume you just clear coat over that, sherwin williams has a wonderful kit with all the stuff you need, all you have to do is just decide what colors to use, ahhh the wonderful world of decisions, thats the worst part

I think it's fair to say that Ed Roman has been caught, uh, exaggerating about things before.  I'm not going to call him a bold-faced liar or anything, I'm just saying that  I wouldn't believe him before getting a second opinion.

OK I'll step up to the plate to call him a bold-faced liar, because that's what he is. Never trust this man.

Why do so many people have such a strong oppinion about this guy?

He has a disturbing tendency of treating possible customers like utter crap. This does not make him popular. Also he has a tendency to make "reproductions" which often find themselves being passed off as the real thing (this may or may not be his fault, don't know) either way at least two fairly high profile guitar forums (jemsite and the PRS forum) have over the course of their existance put a permanent "Do not buy from this guy" out and just talking to people I know and trust who HAVE delt with this guy, my impression is that he's dishonest, rude and not to be dealt with.