new PRS production model

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, PRS is over rated. i have only found a couple i have ever liked. they are more of a furniture guitar, than a great sounding insturment. Santana has a great sound, but he has custom built one offs. i once played a private stock, and it was pretty, and shiny, but it didn't sound good. collectors have ruined the PRS, more people want them because they are the flavor of the week, rather than to play them.

now if you want a super high quality, great sounding guitar in the same price range, i recomend Tom Anderson Guitar Works. my tom classic sounds incredible.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
ok, ok, i just read the article. that guitar is going to cost 2 ****ing arms and legs. it's 'just' Brazilian Rosewood!

How would you play it then? thats just not worth it.

And Rye, I will admit that PRS makes a quality instument. The tremonti is kinda muddy, but so is Mark's tone, so its what its supposed to be. The prices get me. Why pay handmade prices for machine made instruments? I like the style & versatility. The heels are a turn off (dont know on the 513) unless we talk pre 95. So let us all not be too harsh. PRS has better quality than gobson and the versatility is better, unless we talk jimmy page les paul. The switching is more gig friendy in the JPLP than a 5 way rotary switch. At least to me. Push pull pots work foe me.

I think litchfield pretty much hit the nail on the head. they definately are designed much more for this decade than the gibsons. Yeah jimmy page had a weird versatile set up but i dont like him so just forget that. yes PRS may have better quality. But to charge that much for a guitar you could get a much better sound from a les paul supreme.

i did the jimmy page switching on my old vantage lespaul, its kinda cool, i never use it though.

your are right though the newer heels are a turn off, i think they started making them longer to speed up priduction? wich doesnt make any sense to me? maybe its for a stronger neck?

i like the McCarty models the best,

hey Canuk, haha dont you love how i blattently threw my band in with all those other greats! im so pathetic , oh and go to www.rootedmusic.com haha

Let's not forget: Neal Schon, George McConnell, Nils Lofgren, Al DiMeola, Larry Lalonde, et al. I agree that PRS's are overpriced, and I resent their marketing to the LCD, but they have never made a crappy guitar that I've seen, since Paul started. Even their import stuff isn't bad - it's just all too expensive, but so are Fenders and Gibsons. Personally, I prefer late 80s US BC Rich's, but I've played Mc Cartys, Customs, CEs and Rosewood Specials, and if you can't find a decent sound on one of 'em, a Les Paul ain't gonna help you. :D

i forgot to mention. Gibson is THE most overrated guitar maker on the planet. i was at GC the other day and i looked at a 3000 dollar LP, and it sucked, the action was higher than jimi ever was, and the finish was dull in spots.

MAKE YOUR OWN GUYS. the factory garbage pales in comparison to a hand made insturment.

ok, ok, i just read the article. that guitar is going to cost 2 ****ing arms and legs. it's 'just' Brazilian Rosewood!

Why pay handmade prices for machine made instruments?

C'mon now, lets not get into this arguement...

ok fine.

to quote reaper in another thread...

On the other hand, I'd much rather have a precision machine cutting my neck, pickup pockets, neck pockets, and contours than a human. IMO, as far as mass-production and corporate guitar-building goes, handbuilding guitars leads only to imperfections in the work, and I'd much sooner trust a CNC machine to give me the neck I want than I would some guy who's trained to crank those puppies out as fast as possible. When it comes down to the man against machine (precision-wise), the machine will win 99.99% of the time.

love kraft you absolutley right! well eccept fo rthe whole bcrich thing,lol

but as for prs's they are excpensive, but if you are gonna play for the rest of your life figure - 25 years divided by lets say 5,000$ thats only 200$ a year for a great intsrument! you spend more on candy and cigarets than that! this is how i justify buying one!

i am makin my own. Gibson was an original guitar at the time. And the design is still a great one to this day. Pay some damned homage! that and a strat. these guitars really revolutionized a lot. so did the prs. But i prefer makin my own too. always have always will with pretty much everything. ESPECIALLY COMPUTERS! people get so ripped off by like dell...etc. a great 3000 dell is about 1000 bucks. true fact.

well canuck, i can see where you agree with a machine precision wise, but dude, machines have no soul, or creativity. Wayne Charvel never used machines, and his guitars are top notch. i would rather have a Wayne, over a CNC'd PRS.

just my .02

hey Rye, a mill is not a machine, it's a tool. you are still making the cuts. a CNC is controled by a computer, and only knows 0101 0011 00001. you on the other hand can see in 3 deminsions, and you have love for your work.

i know what a cnc is Mcfeely, true fact!

it is just easier to afford a milling machine, true fact!

and then later i can get the cnc attachment for it! true fact!

snork, the dell is brand new!

its got a pentium 4 with a fast 3d card and a suround sound card, but im an idiot when it comes to pcs so i dont know eccactly what the rest of the stuff is? i just know its great for call of duty!

yeah probably like 2.0 pentium 4 with a geforce 3 and 128 ram. pathetic for 700. their setups are rediculous. for 700 you could get a 2.8 512 DDR2 screamin athlon XP setup with a nice sound card and video card. Plus the DDR2 screams. If you wanted to Overclock like i do all the time you could get it up to about 3.2. man you can get so much for 700.

umm.... ok whatever you say snork, like i sayed i dont know i dont care all i know is it is nice and i can play my game of Call of Duty on it, thats all that matters to me! it doesnt take long to make 700 $ so im fine with it, i probalby could have bilt one but this one also has a 17" flat screen to

Gotta give PRS credit for not resting on their laurels with this one. Yes, the 513 Brazilian is going to cost an arm and a leg and collectors will probably snap them all up. But if the concept flies, i would expect we'll be seeing a full line of "513" guitars, including more modestly appointed ones designed more with players in mind. (Did anyone also notice the two new non-signature SE models added to their lineup as well?)

The 513 designation comes from the pickups and the switching (5 single coils with 13 switching options). I'm curious to know how that system works. It strikes me as being a bit too complicated for what gigging musicians are likely to want, but might be a great on a studio guitar.

I think litchfield pretty much hit the nail on the head. they definately are designed much more for this decade than the gibsons. Yeah jimmy page had a weird versatile set up but i dont like him so just forget that. yes PRS may have better quality. But to charge that much for a guitar you could get a much better sound from a les paul supreme.

So because you dont like jimmy page, that enulls the versatility of the jimmy page les paul, designed after the one given to him by joe walsh? where's the logic there? A les paul supreme is just a LP std with a better top, and maybe the burst squeeler pickups.

Why pay handmade prices for machine made instruments?

C'mon now, lets not get into this arguement...

ok fine.

to quote reaper in another thread...

On the other hand, I'd much rather have a precision machine cutting my neck, pickup pockets, neck pockets, and contours than a human. IMO, as far as mass-production and corporate guitar-building goes, handbuilding guitars leads only to imperfections in the work, and I'd much sooner trust a CNC machine to give me the neck I want than I would some guy who's trained to crank those puppies out as fast as possible. When it comes down to the man against machine (precision-wise), the machine will win 99.99% of the time.

not tring to start an arguement, just saying, there's more time in a handmade instrument, so more man hours=more money. The PRS is not handmade. Also, a person can be just as accurate with propper tools, templates, and knowledge. True fact!