Sound Boards

the answer depends on too many factors. Species and the piece of wood you are using. Using a specific measurement is not the right way. Pro builders use their senses and feel how flexible the top is then stop when it meets their critera for the instrument they are building.

Look in the Official Luther's Forum (OLF) for a top thickness jig. Its used to finalize the top thickness using flexibility. then look for how to tune the top after the braces are installed..

Again you can use a number but each top is different even from the same species of wood. So using a more refined approach is suggested.

G'Day Vinny, Thank you for the welcome it is good to be part of this forum I have been lurking here for a long time and thought it was time to contribute to this great forum.

I am pleased to hear that you checked out my wood galllery, I do not get the time to change the photos often as this is only a small section of what I have available. I hope you checked out my guitar gallery this will give you and idea of some of the guitars built from tonewoods that I supplied.

I spoke by e-mail yesterday with Brian that runs this forum and within the next couple of weeks I will have a banner on this site and hopefully some of the members might be interested in some of the exotic woods from Tasmania that I have available. As for years now I have been selling to some of the large tonewood supply shops in the states and Europe and I have now decided to sell direct to luthiers at a lower cost than they are paying now.

I note you are in New York, I spent 6 days there many years ago doing the tourist thing before travling up to Canada to work. Best regards,Robert

Edited by Robert Mac Millan