Sustainer Using A Humbucker

syn

so does this mean that as long as the coil has 8 ohm resistance and the preamp can power a speaker i can make a sustainer?

Syn ...a preamp typically doesn't power a speaker ...a preamp normally feeds into a power amp which then feeds the speaker. An example is an LM386 - that's a power amp (albeit a small one @circa 1W !) ...it can connect to a speaker (or in this case, a sustainer driver coil). A preamp is normally used, because without one, the characteristics of a power amp chip will (normally) load your guitar's pickup ....making your guitar sound awful.

the coil doesnt have to be in a small space?

Do you mean coil dimensions? Well, I've made (lots of) them tall, squat, slim, wide.....I've tested each one of them extensively (with proper test kit) ......so long as there's not an outrageous difference in the driver's basic config (number of windings & DC Resistance...and behind the scenes 'inductance ', but don't worry too much about this latter one, your inductance will be in the ball park)....in my testing there hasn't been a whole lot of difference...

Tallish (7mm high) & slim coil (wound with 0.28mm wire)...

Taller (10mm high) & wider coil (0.315mm wire) ....

Squat (3mm high) and widish coil (0.28mm wire) .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JlPbkQYhs

the point to take home is that for all the driver talk of efficiency & being 'phase aligned' (a misnomer - unless you have a one note guitar), the coil - within reason - for a DIY sustainer is the least of your worries (certainly for a first attempt) .... it can be wound big small, wide - whatever fits your guitar. At the end of the day, it's a passive device, and as such there's not a whole heap you can do to make it cater for the multitude of permutations/conditions a sustainer needs handling. IMHO - the circuit you mate the driver with is where the magic happens.

Edited by Hank McSpank

Right - quit this continual mudflinging between you two. It's obvious that neither or both of you will back down over each other's differences in work and opinions. Irrelevant. This isn't a competition, it's about sharing work with people (you both have something to contribute) and showing the community your development progress, findings and end results. More "moderator preview only" should not be necessary but may be likely given that most of the conversation is about your problems with each other - not sustainers.

Hank - you're at 50% warning. That's five warnings. I can't recall any other boards that are as generous or permissive with frequent trolls. Inasmuch as you have positive results and excellent resources to share with the community, it does not outweigh your aggressive exclusionist stance. You're not an island. You're more like stepping in a pile of dog mess and finding a pound coin in it.