Amatuer Guitar Photography

In the office this morning working on a project. While I was waiting on computers to render, I popped into the studio and threw together a quick lighting setup. I love light! It just makes all the magic happen!

I used a 1K with a small Chimera for key, a 200 watt Arri for fill and a white reflector for a bit of rim light.

I'm no director of photography or photographer for that matter, but I got a couple of interesting shots. I knocked 'em out in Photoshop and put a blue gradient behind them.

It looks like the fill was too hot and throwing shadows...should have knocked it down a bit. Even though I haven't set up this guitar yet, I should have lowered the bridge saddles...the action looks really high...the camera can't tell if it's in tune. :idea:

I'm doing actual product shots on Monday night with a photographer. I plan to take "behind the scenes" shots as it's going on. If there's interest, I'll follow up here with pics of the setup.

studio01.jpg

I tried to center the Chimera reflection in this shot to show some of the figure in the white area but I think my exposure was a bit hot...didn't notice it until I was at the computer.

studio02.jpg

Here's a quick diagram of the setup I used. Most folks won't have a Chimera (softbox) but you can get the same effect by placing a white poster board in it's place and bouncing a light off of it...this is actually preferable because you will never see the actual light source in the reflection on the guitar like you do in my first shot.

studio03.jpg

Peace,

Mark