Project: Stealthcaster

About 2 years ago I started building this "Strat" copy. I am most of the way there but I blew my back out and just never got around to finishing it. When I started this, I had a clear cut Idea on how it would be finished. I was planing to do a dutch oil treatment. I hate to say it but that is a lot of sanding and I am not sure my back is up to it. I was talking with someone that turned me onto the idea of doing a Seafin Teak Oil finish. If anyone has any other finish options to throw into the hat, I'm open to suggestion.

I guess I should get on with the stats.

The Body: East Indian Rosewood. Its back cut for the VS100

The Neck:

Neck wood: East Indian Rosewood

Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood with MOP inlay.

Fret wire: 6230 stainless steel

Nut: graphite

Machine Heads: Gold Schaller Mini Locking Tuners.

The Bridge: Gold Gotoh/Wilkinson VS100

The Pickups: Fender aged-white Samarium Cobalt Noiseless

The Pickguard: Hand cut smoked acrylic Lexan

Here is some not-so great photos.

P1140179.jpg

P1140180.jpg

P1140183.jpg

P1140185.jpg

I wet the neck down to give you an idea of the wood.

P1140191.jpg

Again, and ideas are welcome on the finish. I am avoiding things like NCL because I don't have the equipment or time to learn to shoot NCL. I am moving in a few months and want to finish it before I leave.

Thanks for looking

Mike

Great looking axe!

I just looooooove Rosewood! :D

I would go for 3 coats of Tung oil in 3 weeks then take off all excess and a final coat of Bee's wax mixed in with tupertine. That's how I finished my Wenge neck and it feels smooth and clean.

Great job.

BTW; How is the sound?

Seams everyone feels oil is the way to go. Since I have never done the Seafin/paraffin finish, what is the major difference between that and say Tung?

Also to answer the questions

Yes, its a boat anchor. It weighs enough to convincingly drive fence post for sure. I built it for recording and thankfully not for gigging, so the weight isn't too large a factor.

The sound is insane. Very defined. The notes really ring out with precision and clarity. The pickups that are in there now, are the weak link. They were popped in because I'm impatient. They wont be staying, I'm winding my own pups for this one in hopes of better complimenting the wood.

Mike