1st Guitar Build Project

Hi guys :D

I joined a while ago and continued to lurk for a long time but now feel compelled to post as I plan to commence my first build very soon!

I've had plans to build a guitar for a very long time, and have assembled what should prove to be all the parts over several years from various sources. My original design was this;

14w4m1g.jpg

but have since stumbled upon this, which I deeply covet

dytzwl.jpg

So I'm taking the lead from the second picture, and a far simpler build it should be too. The design intricacies will be of their own, however. In terms of aesthetics it will be very similar to the gibson V. The neck profile I want to model on the Les Paul's as I've been playing one for about 10 years and find it very comfortable. The bridge is currently illustrated below by a kahler trem bridge I got for cheap ages ago, but will be a t-o-m. Not made a desicion regarding the pickguard yet. Biggest change of all, however, is that it will be a neck through.

Here are the complete specs, as the final design drawing is not yet complete

Specs:

Neck thru

Neck: 5pc Maple, Paduak, Wenge

Fret board: Pao Ferro

Body: mahogany

Scale length: 24.3/4"

22 frets

Nut width: 1.11/16"

Fret board radius: 12"

Neck dimensions;

Profile at 1st fret: 0.860"

Profile at 12th fret: 0.970"

Width of body at heel: 2 1/4"

Width of neck at heel: 2 1/8"

2 Barenuckle Pickups Warpig humbuckers

TOM bridge

Neck angle:

Headstock angle: 17° to neck

Neck angle: 2° to body

And now, pictures!

Everything in a big pile

IMG_9178.jpg

IMG_9181.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9191.jpg

These are the plans in progress, which I've linked rather than posted because to be of any use to anyone the picture has to be MASSIVE.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/p...10/IMG_9192.jpg

I'm keen to get started asap but unfortunately my workspace is outside so I am at the mercy of the elements. I've a folding workbench and a few very basic tools so far, (a couple of rasps, No. 4 jack plane, a larger spoke shave) and will be picking up other tools as they become necassary and affordable. All that this means though is that I will be forced to take my time perhaps more than I might be inclined to (in all the excitement!) B) This summer is forecast to be a nice one so hopefully I will get well on the way with this before autumn

I do have a couple of questions; you can see on the plans the dotted line indicating the dimensions of the neck blank. Now, is it better, given it's a neck through, to preserve as much of the width of the neck wood through the body as possible? In other words, should as little of the wings of the guitar be the body wood (in this case the mahogany) in favour of the neck wood? Or does it not make very much difference? I presume the latter, but would like to make sure before I get too far into the design process B)

Similarly, I'm not sure if it's clear enough to see in the plans but circles that round out the points of the V are 7/8" in radius. I'm sure I found this information from a Gibson V, but on the plans the points are much sharper than on the source guitars. Does anyone know the true radius/circumference of the Gibson V points?

Also, what experience do people here have of making guitars in spare corners of their homes? A lot of you have very impressive shops and though I don't have access to anything similar I want to ensure that I'm at no tangible disadvantage. What would you guys recommend as the absolute bare minimum or highest priority tools to invest in?

Hopefully I'll get some progress up soon :D thank you for looking!

Edited by padbug

Now, is it better, given it's a neck through, to preserve as much of the width of the neck wood through the body as possible?

My personal opinion is that tapering the entire neck to match the taper of the fretboard looks much more natural to the eye and a damn site better, IMHO. I have done as you have suggested, leave as much of the neck blank as possible, in the past but I won't do it again now that I have tried tapering the neck through the body.

All that this means though is that I will be forced to take my time perhaps more than I might be inclined to (in all the excitement!)

Just take your time and think about what you are doing. I have ruined more projects than I have completed simply due to my impatience. I am actively seeking help for this.

Cheers

Buter

Now, is it better, given it's a neck through, to preserve as much of the width of the neck wood through the body as possible?

My personal opinion is that tapering the entire neck to match the taper of the fretboard looks much more natural to the eye and a damn site better, IMHO. I have done as you have suggested, leave as much of the neck blank as possible, in the past but I won't do it again now that I have tried tapering the neck through the body.

I agree it would certainly look better, but as I am currently planning to finish the guitar in a solid white I wonder if I might be sacrificing any potential tonal advantages for an aesthetic quality that ultimately won't be visible?

Thinking about it, however, I would like to keep my options open regarding finish for as long as possible, so will certainly taper the neck anyway :D

All that this means though is that I will be forced to take my time perhaps more than I might be inclined to (in all the excitement!)

Just take your time and think about what you are doing. I have ruined more projects than I have completed simply due to my impatience. I am actively seeking help for this.

I'll be measuring everything twice, checking it 5 times and cutting once! It's already been 4 years so I'm not worried about being tempted to rush the project. All I meant was my pace will ultimately be dictated by the weather