Finishing An Eden Neck

As the title suggests ill be applyin the finish to a maple eden neck (maple neck,maple fret board) had a good look through the finshing forum here and Ive decided to go with tru-oil as I like the results,my question is what are my options for sealing after the tru-oil,I only have a few small off cuts for testing so I want to make sure what I do will work,just a general clear coat is all I want. Also I read its ok to just spray right over the frets and inlays and once its polished up it'll come off ok? Can someone clarify for me please,I had imagined taping them off originally.

Thanks

Edited by The Suzuki Method

There's nothing wrong with getting finish on your frets, as it does come off when you level/polish the frets.

There's nothing wrong with getting a little finish on your inlays. It really makes no difference.

Why do you need something on top of the true-oil? I was under the impression that the true-oil IS the finish when you go that route?

Spraying right over the frets is fine, in fact I prefer it, less work masking.

Tru-oil on the back of the neck will be fine by itself. On the fretboard a film finish would be a good idea, but kind of defeats the purpose of the Tru-oil. Under the abuse of the strings Tru-Oil will wear away very fast and the board will get grimy. I am not positive what will stick to Tru-oil properly, but I know it has been discussed on here before. But if you are going to apply a film finish, what is the point of the Tru-oil. You'll just be covering it and feel the film finish. It'll be like the Tru-oil was never even used.

What type of color are you going for? Reranch sells spray cans of vintage amber nitro lacquer. Tough part is catching the online store when it's open. I am a big fan of using shellac for amber tones when I can. I would recommend using dyes instead of minwax stain. They are easier to mix your own colors and penetrate deeper.

What type of color are you going for?

you know I've really started questioning that in the last few days. My intention for the body is to dye black like the orca build,I plan on sanding back a few times to better expose the grain. I think I need to get some software so I can create a few mock ups. I could dye the back of the neck black the sand that for the same effect then seal the whole thing I guess, what would best for a nice glossy finish? Shellac?