Rg Build

Well, I had a neck, bridge, some pickups lying around, and I saw this big bit of Ash for a pretty reasonable price... So why not?

Specs:

* Ash body (48mm thick, 2-piece)

* Maple neck

* Rosewood fretboard

* Set neck join

* 25.5" scale length

* 22 frets

* Hardtail bridge

* Chrome hardware

* 2x Humbucker pickups

* 1x Volume pot

* 1x tone pot

* 1x 3-way toggle switch

* Black stained and sanded back

* Oil finish

* Clear pickuard (rear routed)

Thats the basic outline, anyways. The neck's a strat replacement style from the bay, this'll be the third guitar it's been on. The bolt-on threads have all gone, the neck's in a bit of a state, so I've decided to glue it into this guitar - a final destination for a pretty well-used neck.

Just gotta get myself up to B&Q and get some 18mm MDF for the template (its on 6mm MDF right now, too thin to rout the body with my 1" router bits), then I can get started proper.

My only concern right now is weight, and the thickness of the body blank. A carve would bring down the percieved thickness a lot, but I've never done a carve before, not sure if the RG would look right with a carve either. Any thoughts on this?

Worthless without pics, so here's my slab of Ash:

p4140002resize.jpg

that´s a nice piece of ash :D

about that thickness... why don´t you just plane down a few milimeters?

why dont´t you build a neck on your own? if you are afraid of fretting, still you can order pre-slotted fingerboard at stewmac :D

the necks are my favourite part of building a guitar B)

Oblaty, I'm building a neck as a practice run for my bass project. I just wanted to use this neck for this project because otherwise I'll have a spare neck lying around.

Workingman, would there be much of an advantage of that, over the simplicity of just glueing it in? My other reason was just curiosity, I've never owned a set neck guitar.

I think there would be a few advantages to going with the inserts over gluing. 1) You have already had this neck on a few guitars so you could move it again. 2) It would be easier to modify the neck to body fit if required (e.g., shimming it). Also, I am not sure how mutch your glueing this one would give you the experiance of a set neck. Set necks are constructed diffently and also typicaly give you better upper fret access. This is not to say it would not work.

I think I'm gonna have to take your advice, and go for threaded inserts. I'm equally curious as to whether the added bolt-on pressure changes anything, as well. Would inserts such as these do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M6-X-20mm-Hex-Drive-...=item414e3e1e04

This guitar will have a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, I have decided. The ones from guitarfetish.com caught my eye, but I'm not sure if they're any good? Also not sure what the shipping to UK will cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...