12-string Do's And Dont's

Hey fellas (and fellettes)

I got a commission back in Jan for a twin neck V and I have been putting it off until I was a bit happier with my work. I'm ready to start on it now but I've never built or played a 12-string, which will be the top neck.

The guitar design is completely done and my friend is totally stoked with the design. Having said that, I am going to build a 12-string for myself first just to make sure there isn't something I've overlooked.

I've learned lots from my mistakes so I'd like to take a break from that and learn from someone else's for a while.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. What are some differences between 12 stringers and six stringers that I might not be aware of? Info like string spacing between the main and drone (octave) strings, common nut widths, pickup differences if there are any. You sorta get the point.

Cheers

Buter

There isnt a lot I can tell you myself. I never owned or even played a 12-string (but I plan on it!)

However, one obvious thing would be the fact that string tension is quite higher than a normal 6 stringer, so thickness and width of the neck *may* need to adjust for this if.

Also, in Melvyn Hisckock's almost famous book, I believe he tells that if you are going to get an angled headstock, the angle should be a bit smaller than you would on a 6 string as the headstock would be longer, and therefore the end of the headstock would also be further away vertically in relation to the neck, meaning that it would be more fragile in the case of falling.

Also, considering how most doubleneck V will be built.. shouldnt it be called a Flying W? :D

Thanks

All good points.

I'll be using twin carbon rods on the 12 string neck to offset the higher tension

Six of the tuners will be on the body so the headstock will be the same size as the six string.

The necks will be 7 piece lams so no fragility issues there.

I think you've got an excellent point re the flying W!

Cheers

B

its just a case of drawing it out as usual. Nut width doesnt have to be massively wider eitehr. Cant remember the space between the strings i go for but i copied it off another 12 string i owned. I think its about 2-3mm between string centres - but will check later

I'll be using twin carbon rods on the 12 string neck to offset the higher tension

That's a good thing. Where will you put the adjusment cavity(s) though? If in the headstock, dont forget that the cavities will weaken the area between the headstock and neck depending on how big the cavity will be. Again with increased string tension to keep in mind, that might not be what you want. You wont have that issue if you put it at the body end offcoarse, but no one wants to adjust the rod with the neck removed. But if you want to be able to adjust with the neck attached and stringed, you would need to route a bit behind the neck. This however might cause some structural design issues for the neck to body join, neck side pickup, limit the size of your fretboard and is only realy for a bolt-on neck. Also, you'd need a pickguard and that might not be what you planned cosmetically. In the end, adjusment cavity at the headstock end might be best usually.

Six of the tuners will be on the body so the headstock will be the same size as the six string.

That is a pretty cool idea. I dont have much knowledge about 12 strings, so dunno if other designs like that exist. But the thing about 12 stringers I dislike is the massive headstock they always seem to come with.. look so aesthetically unpleasing. Only problem with that might be that having to switch between bridge and headstock for tuning might be a bit of a hassle.

The necks will be 7 piece lams so no fragility issues there.

7 piece! It's going to look like a rainbow if you use laminate it with different woods :D

I think you've got an excellent point re the flying W!

A guy I knew once claimed a double neck flying V should be called a flying X, since it's two 5's so that makes a 10 :D