Singlecut Build For Fun

Hey there, so after few years of thinking, I finally managed to start building my third guitar. This one will no more be a budget build, I will use the best materials I can get.

Specs:

Body will be similar to PRS Singlecut with 3pc mahogany (hollow, not sure yet) body and carved flamed maple top.

Neck will be flame maple w. ebony fretboard. This one is a challenge for me, because it will be my first neck with neck angle and scarf joint.

Bridge I´m going to use is Gotoh TOM bridge with strings run through body, tuners will also be Gotoh.

Pickups I´ve ordered are custom made Kent Armstrong PAF Special with stronger magnet on bridge and PAF Plus on neck position.

Things to think about:

Finish?... Not sure about maple top. Back and neck will be natural. Nitro or Polyurethane?

Make it hollow or not?... Mahogany I want is light, but on the other hand I play a lot without amp.

Any advices would be appriciated :D

Feel free to post any suggestions.

This guitar is for me and I want to make it a fun build :D

Things to think about:

Finish?... Not sure about maple top. Back and neck will be natural. Nitro or Polyurethane?

Make it hollow or not?... Mahogany I want is light, but on the other hand I play a lot without amp.

Any advices would be appriciated :D

Feel free to post any suggestions.

This guitar is for me and I want to make it a fun build B)

What about Shellac finish and a hollow chambered with no F-holes?

I'm just deeply in love with shellac finishes instead of more polluting Nitro or Poly basically because Nitro gives me a rash :D

I apply it just like Nitro with a gun and I get some great results.

Good luck on this project. I will keep an eye on this thread.

I was thinking about something like Shellac, a friend of mine is great violin maker and he makes his own lacquers. So this should be done this way. Bud finish is the last thing I´m worried about :D

And the chambered body with no F-holes? We´ll see :D I was thinking about it this way too B)

ok, got planed the neck blank.

DSC01939.jpg

Actually I´m making two necks out of it. Behind the neck blank you can see flamed top.

On the photo you can´t see any extra flames on the top, but they are there :D I just didn´t sand it and make a proper photo of it...

Tomorrow I´m going to make templates.

Edited by oblaty

• 2 weeks later...
Here are my parts so far.. more I will get during this and the next week :D

It's looking like fun already. Beautiful start with some gorgrous materials. I just finished my first PRS carve, it was challenging but ALOT of fun.

You might also look into EM6000 water based laquer. It's actually an acrylic. I has pretty much a zero impact on the environment. I use it on all of my guitars. It has super low VOC, zero explosion risk, builds like nitro, accepts TranTint, Mixol and ColorTone dyes and pigments, fully cures in 4 days and buffs out beautifully...I buffed out my most recent tele after only 24 hours to meet a contest deadline...it came out great! And you can rinse your gun out in the sink...no cans of junk thinner laying around.

Target also has a water based shellac I believe.

Target Coatings

I'll be watching this one.

Peace,

Mark

It's looking like fun already. Beautiful start with some gorgrous materials. I just finished my first PRS carve, it was challenging but ALOT of fun.

Thanks, the neck is similarly flamed like the top.

And for the finish. I was thinking about it and I´ll probably take the way of finishing it with satin nitro :D I want it matte :D

Hey guys! I´d need some help with electronics. Kent Armstrong pickups allows wiring as series/parallel and also single/humbucker. I ordered volume pot, push-pull tone pot and 3-way switch (gibson style). I guess I´ll have to resign one of connections (series-parallel / single-humbucker). What wiring diagram shoul I use?

Thanks, Peter