25.5 To A 25" Scale

Has anyone ever removed a fretboard from a 25.5" scale neck and replaced it with a 25" scale fretboard? I have a 25.5 scale neck laying around and would like to build a guitar but would like a 25" scale (just for kicks) So I thought instead of building a neck or buying a new neck (25" scale necks are hard to find and expensive) I could remove the old fretboard and replace it with a 25" fretboard. 25" scale fretboards are cheap to buy and it would give me some experience in building a neck (atleast the fretting etc) without going all out the first time. You think this is possible?? I can't see why it wouldnt be.

Has anyone ever removed a fretboard from a 25.5" scale neck and replaced it with a 25" scale fretboard? I have a 25.5 scale neck laying around and would like to build a guitar but would like a 25" scale (just for kicks) So I thought instead of building a neck or buying a new neck (25" scale necks are hard to find and expensive) I could remove the old fretboard and replace it with a 25" fretboard. 25" scale fretboards are cheap to buy and it would give me some experience in building a neck (atleast the fretting etc) without going all out the first time. You think this is possible?? I can't see why it wouldnt be.

I think you could, but you`d need to move the nut down closer to the bridge. The scale length is a nut to bridge thing.

I think you could, but you`d need to move the nut down closer to the bridge. The scale length is a nut to bridge thing.

Ya since this is a new build I am building the body out of mahogany and will set the bridge at an 25" scale appropriate position. I am just curious if any one has actually removed and replaced fret boards with a different scale and how it turned out

Yeah, either the nut or bridge will have to move. If you do your research and plan it all out on paper, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Does it sound like a lot of unnecessary work? Would keeping the 25.5" be simpler? Yes, but you want to learn, so I say go for it. You'll definitely learn a lot.

wouldnt it be easier to build a whole new neck?

I thought removing a fretboard and adding a new one may be easier than designing and fabricating a neck (assuming I actual build one worth using), then gluing on a fret board.

Since you have to do the same process when building a neck I.E. gluing on the fretboard then fretting and finishing it I just assumed that removing a fretboard from and existing (well built neck) may be easier than actually building one.