My Next Build Will Be...

...a solid body alder Cicada with this top and back I made from waterfall bubinga, spruce, mahogany, and walnut.

Bubinga_Cicada_Top-1s.jpg

The neck will be birdseye maple with a figured kingwood fingerboard. I am considering a P90 for the neck pickup and maybe a PAF or a Vintage 59 in the bridge position. I am also considering Seymour Duncan P-Rails. Thoughts on the pickups?

I tried the SD P-Rails pickups and was thoroughly disappointed. They don't do a good job of the P-90 or Strat sounds at all (IMO) and the humbucker sound is rather non-descript. In the same guitar, SD Alnico II Pro pickups (also with coil taps) kicked P-Rail butt, both in humbucking and tapped modes.

I really like the vintage 59s I got in my LP. The tone is good, and the price is right.

I'm digging that top and back, is the color difference in the bubinga going to make in on the guitar? its hard to tell how big it is.

Absolutely. The guitar is 11.25 inches wide at the lower bout and the top and back are just over 11.25 inches wide. I love incorporating sapwood...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the alder RockBeach main body for this guitar being CNC cut. Just thought you might find it mildly interesting...

Here's the top glued on but still rough edges (and not rounded...)

Waterfall_Cicada_2s.jpg

Remember... The extensions come off in the final product. They are only on there for mounting to the CNC jig...