Control Covers Attached With Magnets.

Hello guys,

I've seen that many of you attach the back covers with magnets instead of screws. I did a search for "magnets" but all I get are pickup-related threads...

I bought from ebay a bunch of neodymium disc magnets (1/4"x1/16") that I haven't received yet. I hope these are adequate... I suppose that I can simply make a shallow recess and glue the magnets in place, but would like to see how you implemented yours.

Do you use magnets on the cover AND the body, or some kind of metal plate on one of the sides ?? Got any pictures to share ??

Many thanks in advance.

Hello guys,

I've seen that many of you attach the back covers with magnets instead of screws. I did a search for "magnets" but all I get are pickup-related threads...

I bought from ebay a bunch of neodymium disc magnets (1/4"x1/16") that I haven't received yet. I hope these are adequate... I suppose that I can simply make a shallow recess and glue the magnets in place, but would like to see how you implemented yours.

Do you use magnets on the cover AND the body, or some kind of metal plate on one of the sides ?? Got any pictures to share ??

Many thanks in advance.

RedStar Cover

HOD Magnets

HOD Cover

Hello guys,

Many thanks in advance.

RedStar Cover

HOD Magnets

HOD Cover

Hey RAD, you know all those links go to the same page right? Anyway, that is probably one if the best examples youll find on using mags for control covers. RAD does beautiful and solid work.

I've seen a few different styles during repairs. There's the matching recessed ones like you're talking about. The. There are ones where the ones on the cover stick out and then there's just normal screws that are recessed in the control cavity. I've also seen one with a metal cover and magnets on the inside. If I remember correctly, that one was microphonic.

Edited by FireFly

Hello guys,

Many thanks in advance.

RedStar Cover

HOD Magnets

HOD Cover

Hey RAD, you know all those links go to the same page right? Anyway, that is probably one if the best examples youll find on using mags for control covers. RAD does beautiful and solid work.

Duh... My bad :D

Here is the right RedStar Cover

The SG ones link to the direct post... funny enough they are right next to each other... the other one I had a ID10T error , you know an 18" error.... the problem was 18 inches behind the monitor.

OK IMPORTANT NOTE.

I would not use Neo to Neo on control covers. When 2 neo magnets collide they have a tendency to break and shatter. The little shards are dangerous when flying at high speed.

Also don't sand through the coating on the magnet. The nickel ones are usually copper/nickel. They will oxidize very quickly when exposed to air.

OK IMPORTANT NOTE.

I would not use Neo to Neo on control covers. When 2 neo magnets collide they have a tendency to break and shatter. The little shards are dangerous when flying at high speed.

Also don't sand through the coating on the magnet. The nickel ones are usually copper/nickel. They will oxidize very quickly when exposed to air.

Good stuff !! Thank you guys.

One final question for RAD: In your final setup, does the washer come in direct contact with the magnet or is there a layer of finish/epoxy creating a virtual gap ?? I haven't received the magnets yet but I get the impression that they are pretty strong, have you found any problems with too much magnetic force ??

Thanks again for your time.

OK IMPORTANT NOTE.

Good stuff !! Thank you guys.

One final question for RAD: In your final setup, does the washer come in direct contact with the magnet or is there a layer of finish/epoxy creating a virtual gap ?? I haven't received the magnets yet but I get the impression that they are pretty strong, have you found any problems with too much magnetic force ??

Thanks again for your time.

I use thick CA and I submerge the washer leaving a thin layer on top. I just don't want the washer to corrode.

The magnets are VERY strong and you don't need but 3 or 4 to make a plate that is hard to get off.

I haven't seen or heard any issues with the magnets being too strong. As long as your control cavity is in a normal place I doubt the eddy currents would be strong enough to disrupt the pickups magnetic field in an audible manner.

I use thick CA and I submerge the washer leaving a thin layer on top. I just don't want the washer to corrode.

The magnets are VERY strong and you don't need but 3 or 4 to make a plate that is hard to get off.

I haven't seen or heard any issues with the magnets being too strong. As long as your control cavity is in a normal place I doubt the eddy currents would be strong enough to disrupt the pickups magnetic field in an audible manner.

That's what I wanted to know.

With the strong field question I was thinking more in magnets or washers coming unglued when trying to remove the cover. In that sense a small gap of CA or epoxi can help a lot...

Thanks again.