Black Walnut As Body And Possibly Neck Wood

Personally, I think walnut is one the best neck woods there is. The sound is just a little on the bright side (not nearly as much as maple) very woody. Saying it's bright is misleading, though. You could maybe call it warm sometimes. Its somewhere in the middle I guess. The best part of it is the timbre. Like I said before, it's very "woody" and organic sounding.

It's also a pretty stable wood and extremely easy to carve.

It's like mahogany in that its sound varies from piece to piece. Some will sound amazing and other might just sound okay, even from the same tree. Even the sapwood (it's whitish) has it's own sound.

Edited by NotYou

I love it too. I have a mahogany bodied guitar with a black walnut neck and it's really nice. The look alone is reason enough to use it in guitars but it also sounds great. I agree that it's going to vary from piece to piece but I don't really think anyone would dislike the tone. Nice to work with.

I'm making a neck-through mini guitar with black walnut in the neck now. Got a good stash of this stuff to use for more to come.

i love the sound of walnut guitars in isolation - but i do have concerns about there ability to cut through in the mix.

Obviously its a problem that can be sorted with EQ so it wouldnt stop me making more walnut guitars

Gibson did do some walnut guitars in the late 70's - like 'the paul'. and most i have played or repaired had a pleasantly different tone/timbre to the average gibson.