First Build- Ibanez Destroyer Thing

So I decided to try building because I'm hardly ever satisfied with the guitars in stores and thought it'd be cheaper/funner to build one to my exact specs. The plan is a Ibanez Destroyer type guitar with:

Alder body

Birch top

Maple set neck, 24 fret, 25.5in scale

? fretboard

Schaller Roller Bridge (fixed top mount hardtail type)

Dot inlay

IBZ Designed by EMG pickups (until I decide what Seymour Duncans I want, can afford them, and get my RG that I'm making in to a JEM put back together)

For the electronics, I'm using a vol, tone, and toggle with all 3 in a line by the bridge for ease of use.

I'm building it with the help of Woodenspoke so as to hopefully not screw anything up too bad

Pics:

Bodyclamped_.jpg

The body clamped up

Template.jpg

The body template

TopLeft.jpg

TopRight.jpg

And the top

Edited by IbanezDudeCK

The flame on that birch is pretty intense. Have you started on the neck yet?

Nope, that comes next time. I just started actually building yesterday and that's as far as I got. The template is pretty much done (all the routing stuff is on the back side), the body wood is sanded down to about 1-3/4" and glued, the top (I had two pieces of figured birch so we had to get both cut and pick the one I wanted which took a bit longer, the other one is more randomly figured instead of striped looking and is a little thin now that its smoothed out) is thicknessed and ready to glue, and that's about it so far.

The neck will (hopefully) be like a set Wizard II. That's the neck on my favorite guitar for the past 3 years and I love those necks, really nice for people with small hands like me.

...thought it'd be cheaper/funner to build one...

Cheaper? :D One can but dream :D

So far I've spent about $500 and have everything I need for this and the 7 string I hope to build later with the same woods. This includes pickups and bridges and everything. That's better than the $450 that I would've spent on the Ibanez basic RG 7 string I was going to get and the alder with flame birch is much nicer than the basswood body that one has. Much better than the $1250 LTD I have that I still don't think is perfect.

I'm building it with the help of Woodenspoke (Spoke) so as to hopefully not screw anything up too bad

He has a complete shop at his diposal for the build. Includes a new bottle of glue too..

A nice birch top. Great find, cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more pictures and progress.

First, some pictures of me cutting the body and top to get ready to glue. The routing was done before gluing and you can see a part of the route in the last picture

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

Picture of the body and top being glued together:

IMG_2070.jpg

The body and top after unclamping

BodyAndTop2.jpg

The neck being glued (2 piece maple)

NeckClamped1.jpg

And slotting the ebony fretboard

IMG_2072.jpg

Edited by IbanezDudeCK

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures. The Neck and fretboard are now attached, the fretboard is slotted and inlayed (dots), the LMI truss rod is in the neck, the neck is pretty much carved, needs cleaned up with the fretboard on it. The body is pretty much shaped up now, need to add pickup slots and clean up the control area.

Just pictures of the fretboard being glued to the neck, lots of Stew-Mac neck clamps, other clamps, and a big piece of metal.

NeckFretboardClamp.jpg

Head.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
+1 on the Safety Glasses

I did where a full face shield when routing around the body if that makes you happier.

Anyways, I have posted an pics or any progress, but it's now fretted and has a headstock backplate that was just glued on last time. The neck joint is roughly drawn out and the neck is 120 grit sanded. Here's a pic of the neck before frets and backplate. And the headstock 'logo' inlay is cut, needs a bit of filing. I've got the headplate piece and need to cut it to the right shape and glue it on then put in the inlay.

Neck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's ALMOST done. everything is pretty much in place. the neck pocket is made, the neck heel has been adjusted, the front and back plates are on and the logo is inlayed. The frets are all in, leveled, crowned, and rounded. The body has the rounds around the edges. Still need the backplate for the control panel, some headstock shaping, tuner holes, and the holes for the bridges screws. Still need to add my fancy headstock taper/ledge/color change thing. Right now, everything is being 120 grit sanded. The rounds and neck have been cleaned up since the pictures I took last night.

Neck Pocket:

neckpocket.jpg

Neck Heel:

neckheel.jpg

Headstock side:

headstockside.jpg

Headstock inlay logo:

headstocklogo.jpg

Body:

bodytop.jpg

Body back:

bodyback.jpg