Semi-acoustic Bracing

I was at Guitar Center this afternoon looking at semi-acoustics. More specifically, I was looking inside some semis. I noticed that the bull-bodied models are kerfed like an acoustic while the thinner 335-ish ones aren't. This was across the board, regardless of the manufacturer.

Can someone please give me some insight as to why this is? I would have thought that it'd need to be kerfed regardless of how tall/wise the sides are because the kerfing is there to give extra gluing surface. Why would it be necessary on the thick models but not the thin ones? The top/sides are still pretty thin and needing (presumably) the same gluing surface.

Granted, I wasn't able to get to the Gibson, but the Epiphones and Ibanez (at least I think it was an Ibanez) thin models weren't kerfed. The thick Ibanez, Gretsch, and one other were all "normal".

FWIW: The dude there was looking at me like I had 3 heads when I told him want I was doing. I don't think he knows what kerfing is.

they probably just have a cheaper way of doing it.

some guitars have unkerfed lining that can be deceptive on thinlines... you dont really need much extra gluing surface, although i wouldnt want to ever glue straight to the sides

kerfing is easy though, cant see why you wouldnt do it

Granted, I wasn't able to get to the Gibson, but the Epiphones and Ibanez (at least I think it was an Ibanez) thin models weren't kerfed. The thick Ibanez, Gretsch, and one other were all "normal".

FWIW: The dude there was looking at me like I had 3 heads when I told him want I was doing. I don't think he knows what kerfing is.

I get that feeling at least once about something every time I go there.

Can someone please give me some insight as to why this is? I would have thought that it'd need to be kerfed regardless of how tall/wise the sides are because the kerfing is there to give extra gluing surface. Why would it be necessary on the thick models but not the thin ones? The top/sides are still pretty thin and needing (presumably) the same gluing surface.

Just a guess but since the sides are short, they may simply laminate them thicker to prevent the need for additional kerf strips. Sort of a top and bottom kerf strip all in one, only without having to put all those kerfs in there. Wouldn't be so great for a full size acoustic of course. :D

I am going to suggest that the sides are probably thicker than anything you can find on an acoustic. Not too expensive to bend a thick piece of plywood and add a veneer. My guess...