Schellac Over Signature

guitar101

I would like to protect an autograph on a guitar. The signature was done in indelible ink. The guitar is an older Takamine and I'm not sure what the clear coat is. Theory is schellac then to Acrylic clear over it ???

:D

Alcohol most likey will not be a good choice as it does remove things like sharpe, meaning it acts as a solvent. Plus you will need to spray what you do use.

I would like to protect an autograph on a guitar. The signature was done in indelible ink. The guitar is an older Takamine and I'm not sure what the clear coat is. Theory is schellac then to Acrylic clear over it ???

:D

Alcohol most likey will not be a good choice as it does remove things like sharpe, meaning it acts as a solvent. Plus you will need to spray what you do use.

Alcohol what do you mean??

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here as I've only ever coated signatures once and they were on a nitro finish so I could just spray nitro right over it and I was good to go.

If you have a disolvable finish like shellac or nitro lacquer you can spray mist coats to start and it will bite and melt right into the existing finish. But something like polyurethane that will not disolve needs to be scuffed first for the finish to adhere. That will create the problem of scuffing around the signature.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here as I've only ever coated signatures once and they were on a nitro finish so I could just spray nitro right over it and I was good to go.

If you have a disolvable finish like shellac or nitro lacquer you can spray mist coats to start and it will bite and melt right into the existing finish. But something like polyurethane that will not disolve needs to be scuffed first for the finish to adhere. That will create the problem of scuffing around the signature.

m

Yeah I guess it depends on what the original clear coat is. That why I thought shellac might work since it supposedly will stick to most materials.

I know shellac will stick to almost anything, but I have never tried it over a polished polyurethane finish. I don't know if it will stick or not. My fear would be the risk of it not sticking and lifting the signature as it peals off. But again, this is just pure speculation as I have no experience to back it up.

This sounds like a good place to do a test though. Apply a little shellac on the back of the body where it won't be seen and see what happens. If it sticks, you at least have a good start. It does not mean that it will stick forever, but you'll at least find out if the finish will stick at all to the existing finish.

Another trick is to take an area like inside a cavity or something and apply a little lacquer thinner with a qtip. If it softens the finish, than it is some type of evaporative finish and shellac should stick. If it doesn't do anything then you at least know that it is some type of catalyzed finish.

Shellac is a universal finish meaning it will stick to most everytnig we use on guitars and allow other finishes over top. God for a transition between two different finishes.