Custom Mkm Guitar

Here is my custom designed and completely built by me MKM guitar.

I started this project about a year ago having in mind a solid body electric guitar that could perform some additional features than the "normal" electric guitars.

I designed this guitar completely from scratch.

We have:

Mahogany body (flattop, custom contoured)

Mahogany neck

22 fret ebony fingerboard

24 3/4" scale

Kent Armstrong pickups

1 volume, 1 tone, 5 way rottary switch

Grover tuners

Dual action truss rod

The guitar can either use a wraparound or a telecaster bridge.

This guitar features an adjustable neck-angle joint that I have designed myself.

The joint is using a convexo-concave formation that can regulate the angle that makes the neck relative to the body.

This can make possible the use of a waparound bridge, which is relatively "high", by tilting the neck backwards about 3-4' degrees or a telecaster bridge, which is relatively "low", by having the neck completely aligned to the body.

Well the instrument is finished but I will post some pics of the building proccess

mkm1.jpg

mkm3.jpg

mkm4.jpg

mkm2.jpg

mkm7.jpg

DSCF9217.jpg

DSCF9219.jpg

Here it is "transformed" with a tele bridge

DSCF9229.jpg

DSCF9239.jpg

Edited by ***mkm***

That's pretty cool. Is the neck still pretty solid with that fancy neck joint angle thingy? I like the looks of the wraparound with the wood plate better. Would look really cool with a Dean Soltero style carve on the part where you're forearm rests. Did you find a way to wire it with quick connect pickup connections to change from the bridge HB to SC pickup when switching the bridge?

Thank's!

There is very solid. There are 6 bolts used. 4 to hold the neck in place and 2 to regulate the angle

This is a plan I designed before I start the building

plan.jpg

Here are some pics of the joint

DSCF9191.jpg

DSCF9226.jpg

The two screws that are used for the angle regulation are pushing against the force of the holding screws and this makes the joint very solid.

I was also thinking of more curves but unfortunatelly I don't have the tools.....yet.

The pickup changing is done through a swich between the bridge pickup and the harness.

I connect the pickup, groung etc to the changing swich, without touching the 5 way rottary

there is also no bridge ground problem because the bridge ground wire is connected to a body insert of the wraparound bridge which is always in direct contact with the tele-like bridge

Here it is angled/wraparound

DSCF9170-1.jpg

And "flat" with tele bridge

DSCF9232.jpg

Edited by ***mkm***

Do you feel you've lost any sustain by having it adjustable?

There is no sustail lost and the instrument is very resonant.

Even if it is made from mahogany the sound is also very bright and closer to a strat than a les paul.

The joint is made in such a manner so that the neck and the body are always in full/tight contact (no gap between) whatever the neck angle is.

Edited by ***mkm***

are you not worried that repeatedly unscrewing and rescrewing into that mahogany may cause the wood to fail.

Its a clever idea but you really need to pair it with threaded inserts for long term viability

You are right. I used threaded inserts everywere.

Here are some in the neck part

moto_0204.jpg

Awesome job I love the look and great idea for the neck to body attachment

are you not worried that repeatedly unscrewing and rescrewing into that mahogany may cause the wood to fail.

Its a clever idea but you really need to pair it with threaded inserts for long term viability

You are right. I used threaded inserts everywere.

Here are some in the neck part

moto_0204.jpg