Lee's Spalted Beech Tele

humbuckers generally have a wire that grounds the base plate anyways, so if it does, its not going to make a bit of difference...

i did a write up on using aluminum tape to shield cavities. if you take a voltmeter now and test for continuity between the separate strips of tape you used, there wont be any most likely. copper shielding has conductive adhesive, aluminum tape does not.

take your soldering iron with a pointy tip, and poke numerous dimples in the tape in places where it overlaps. this melts the adhesive and pushes pieces together. i used about 10 pieces to shield this:

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

and none of it had continuity anywhere, it was bad. so i found the dimple method and now all of it has continuity. its also part of the ground loop because the pots sit in it. and the control cover shielding makes contact with it (without adhesive in the way).

Edited by xadioriderx

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been there. theres almost always something, somewhere, that holds back something else. no news to me either :D

i waited all night for a little clear to dry last night so i could sand out a spot i noticed. sanded it out, made sure all was good, just started clearing again, guess what i found? another one. now i have to wait again :D

thats life. lol

Edited by xadioriderx

im gonna be honest, im good at wiring pickups, but i dont understand what the heck gibson is doing with the wiring on this thing. im getting mixed answers. its not a typical 3 or 4 conductor humbucker wiring, but its not a single coil or p90 wiring either.

first do you have a p94t and a p94r? if yes, the p94r is neck, p94t is bridge, and this is how to wire it:

p94.jpg

it SAYS this will be hum cancelling. to me it looks like it makes it out of phase, but again i dont get what they were doing (and no one on the internet appears to either).

gibson says that makes it hum cancelling, so im gonna go with that. if it for some reason ends up being out of phase (and gibson lied), then reverse the black and white wires to put it back in phase. thats the best i can do. i spent the last hour searching for someone on google that understands p94 wiring, but everyone says different things, half of them think its like a normal humbucker (which its not).

let me know how it goes! looks great!

oh and remember to ground all pots to each other, yadda yadda =D

Edited by xadioriderx

that will be fine, the volume thing is no big deal because you only have one volume. its the difference between independent and dependent volume control. its more important if you have multiple volumes.

if its out of phase, then in the middle position with both pups on, it will sound very thin, and not very good. youll know, trust me =p

if the neck is too low you can probably get away with just shimming the bridge side of the neck so it angles it back a tiny bit. usually a business card or piece of sandpaper is enough, but if its fairly low it may take something thicker. but that would avoid leaving any gap or nonsense visible along the bottom edge of the neck pocket

Thanks for all the advice. Before I seen Xadioriderx wiring diagram I soldered the pots, jack and switch ready to drop into place and conect the pickups and ground wires. I also had mixed advice from google so I used the P90 diagram on the Iron Gear site. It if different form Xadioriderx diagram mainly for the Vol pot. I have the switch hot wire going to the top lug and then onto the tone pot with the hot output on the middle lug. Is this wrong or just a different way to do it.

Yes I have the P94 R and T set and will be wiring one black and one white to hum cancel as advised by Gigson. Although if it does turn out to be out of phase I'm not really sure I know what out of phase is :D

Here is a photo to explaine.

DSC_6630.jpg

DSC_6632.jpg

Be sure to separate the lead from the cap that is touching the pot side, otherwise that pot will also cut output instead of highs. :D

Guitar2005, I dry sanded using Siasoft foam backed pads from 320 to 2500 grit then I used a foam pad in a cordless drill and burnished with 3M Finnesse-It. The lacquer is Morrells 2pac acid catyist "440". They do nitro but they call it old style lacquer.

All I need is a truss rod cover and a control cavity cover then it will be complete.

DSC_6692.jpg

DSC_6693.jpg

DSC_6695.jpg

DSC_6696.jpg

DSC_6698.jpg

DSC_6700.jpg

DSC_6703.jpg

DSC_6705.jpg

DSC_6697.jpg