Lee's Spalted Beech Tele

Hi, my name is Lee and I have handmade a strat and 2 teles and this will be my 4th build.

I've started by cutting some Idigbo for the body back. I had it at 36mm thick so the spalted beech top which is 9mm would laminate on the top and make 45mm but I noticed a few saw marks which were about 2mm deep so decided to put a thin 2mm lam of Sapele in the middle.

I've split the Sapele and will glue it onto the Idigbo and when plane it down to 2mm thick and then plane the back of the Idigbo to remove the saw marks.

I've also cut a strip of Wenge to run down the middle of the body.

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_5412.jpg

DSC_5414.jpg

DSC_5416.jpg

DSC_5417.jpg

DSC_5420.jpg

DSC_5422.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Idigbo had some saw marks in that needed to be planed out so the best time to do it is now.

DSC_5425.jpg

DSC_5428.jpg

DSC_5429.jpg

I've also decided to use one of the old 4th build necks because it would be a shame to waste them. However I dont think the Bubinga/Walnut/Maple/Walnut/Bubinga neck goes thith a Idigbo and Wenge body back.

DSC_5435.jpg

DSC_5437.jpg

DSC_5433.jpg

I think the best thing do do is swap the central wenge strip for a Bubinga strip.

What do you all think?

Edited by iluvteles

Today I have planed the Sapele laminate down to about 2mm and cut the spalted Beech so its a bit more tidy for gluing onto the Idigbo and Sapele body halfs.

As MzI surggests I was thinking of omitting the central stripe altogether because I thought it may be getting cluttered but without it the total width after jointing and gluing will be about 315mm wide and a Tele is about 325mm.

I'm going to glue the spalt on and sleep on it overnight and decide what to do because I dont like wasting wood. trees have died for it.

DSC_5452.jpg

DSC_5450.jpg

I use polyurathan moisture curing. I find its cheaper than Tightbond and it cures in 30mins so I done this body blank in two halfs in about one hour to first glue up to unclamping.

The wood will break before the glue gives in

ummm...maybe not. I am just saying.

I had to build the width out a bit because I was 10mm short on the width. I did not want to waste the wood and I thinking alot about it I wanted to just have the spalted to by its self but its done now and so I will continue. I'll be starting on the neck blank soon.

Its Goncarlo and Wenge laminate with a Wenge fretboard.

Interesting reading about the glues. It took me a while to figure out that your maybe not was a link. Maybe I should stick with the tried and tested Tightbond original. I just like the poyurathne because you only need to glue one side and the squeeze out cuts off with a scraper.

Glad you read it.

We have had this discussion a 1000 times so I just thought I would circumvent discussion and tell you to go back to titebond or a PVA.

Nice build so far. Remember to wear a dust mask while sanding Wenge.

Started on the Goncarlo and Wenge neck today. This Wenge is horrible wood to work with. It chips real easy. The Goncarlo Alves on the other hand is real nice to work with.

I have cut the stock and will glue up soon.

The lam neck blank is 45mm so I could get two necks at 20mm thick.

The Wenge fetboard is 6mm thick. Is this too thin?

DSC_5491.jpg

DSC_5493.jpg

DSC_5494.jpg

DSC_5496.jpg

OK a bit of amn update. I decided not to use the original neck blanks because the headstock was too short. I had a spare neck blank so started to remake the neck and I made exactly the same mistake again. I wanted a 200mm headstock so I measured 200mm drew a line and cut it. When I flipped it over to do the scarf joint its was the same length as the original. I have learnt the hard way. Because its cut at an angle you must add the length of the angled cut onto it so when its flipped its the right length.

So...I cut a new bit off the original neck blank and cut a new headstock to the correct length.

I've used some cut off nails to stop any glue slid this time and also some tape. All glued upm now and drying. Fingers crossed.

I am a eeeejut.

DSC_5573.jpg

DSC_5574.jpg

DSC_5575.jpg

DSC_5580.jpg

DSC_5581.jpg

DSC_5584.jpg

DSC_5586.jpg

I routed the truss rod channel today and was going to rough cut the neck out but noticed that I was 5mm too short on each side of the headstock so I'm going to glue two little bits of Wenge to build it up and then cut it out.

DSC_5591.jpg

DSC_5593.jpg

DSC_5594.jpg

Though I would include a pic of the Wenge fingerboard just to show a bit of the design. The only problem is that I've cut the board to thin at 6.3mm and I think it should be more like 8mm. I'll have to cut another.

I use polyurathan moisture curing. I find its cheaper than Tightbond and it cures in 30mins so I done this body blank in two halfs in about one hour to first glue up to unclamping.

The wood will break before the glue gives in

ummm...maybe not. I am just saying.

Great link. Boy was I relieved after I went through this. I used Elmer's carpenters glue on my last build. Seems a close second to the titebond.

Edited by sdshirtman