Linny - Third Build

Linny

This is my third build, the first is finished and the second is at the finishing stage.

Woam2.jpg

This is a laminated neck blank before i glued it up, sapele, birdseye maple, bubinga, birdseye maple, sapele. Doing my best to plane this lot flat.

Woam007.jpg

Cutting the headstock angle, i think i need a bandsaw or a big tenon saw :D

Woam008.jpg

Planed flat and square.

Where is everyone getting these super cool arcade-style switches?!?!!?

Chris

PS: I agree, a bandsaw would have been more elegant. I was merely commenting that it's good you have the ABILITY to properly use saws, planes, etc.

The switch is from ebay, search for Sanwa.

Yea don't worry i took your words as a compliment. I do prefer hand tools where possible to keep noise and dust to a minimum.

Thanks guys. :D

This weekend i got the neck profile done, i have been looking at a trapezoid profile for a while and decided to try it for this project. You can read more about it at Rick Toone's website.

http://www.ricktoone.com/2010/10/trapezoid...e-geometry.html

Woam041.jpg

Its hard to get a good pic of the shape. Basically the neck back is parallel to the fingerboard with a constant thickness of 20mm and because the flat area of the neck is a constant width of 20mm the angle the sides of the neck changes from 50 to 40 degrees, if that makes any sense???

Woam042.jpg

Woam043.jpg

Nice small heal and really easy upper fret access.

Woam044.jpg

Cheers guys

• 1 month later...

So the Sanwa search on eBay worked great. There's literally TONS of choice in this arena. However, my question: How are you wiring it up? It has just two prongs and from the function it was made for, I'm guessing it's only in action when depressed. Ie: You can't wire it as an on/off, merely a momentary kill switch for when it's depressed, and everything comes back on when released again? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm pretty sure you don't HAVE to put alum bars B) He just likes that kinda stuff. Actually, if anything, a trapazoidal neck has MORE meat on it than a normal neck and is therefore MORE stiff than a traditionally carved one.

Chris

so, does it mean the neck will be thicker?

or "has MORE meat" means less shaping? :D

can I still have 18mm neck thickness with this method?

btw, I saw you on another board, you should post your geetar over there, man (mux :D)

terima kasih B)

I have a stew mac hotrod in there, the neck is 20mm thick from the first fret to where it meets the body. You would need a different rod if you wanted the neck any thinner. In my opinion its the width of the flat part which will give you the feeling of a skinny neck. My neck has a flat of 20mm which is on the bigger side Rick Toone states he uses a width of around 5/8th or 16mm which would give steeper sides which i think would make the neck feel a little slimmer without actually making the neck thinner in the traditional sense.

Thickness that a neck will allow has a lot of factor going into it. Fretboard thickness, type of truss rod, etc. I can't just answer "yes, you can do a 18mm neck with this." That said, all things equal besides the carve, if you can do a normal carve with the neck in question, you can do a trapezoid carve with it too. And "more meat" means yes, less wood is removed in the carve. I mean, draw out a trapezoid and a C-carve and compute the area. But my guess would be the trap has more cross-sectional area.

Chris

PS: Ricky, my guitars are on here as well. Not that I know which you're referring to or what other board (I'm on a couple)?

Thickness that a neck will allow has a lot of factor going into it. Fretboard thickness, type of truss rod, etc. I can't just answer "yes, you can do a 18mm neck with this." That said, all things equal besides the carve, if you can do a normal carve with the neck in question, you can do a trapezoid carve with it too. And "more meat" means yes, less wood is removed in the carve. I mean, draw out a trapezoid and a C-carve and compute the area. But my guess would be the trap has more cross-sectional area.

Chris

PS: Ricky, my guitars are on here as well. Not that I know which you're referring to or what other board (I'm on a couple)?

I'm talking about TGP :D

and for OP, could you show us (or me, in this case) how to do this trapezoid neck profile, step by step.

I might try it in my next build.

cheers!!!