New ,redo Build

Dean

• 1 month later...

Here is a bit of a update, with thumb damage included.

grandsonguitar011.jpg

As you can see the bit was a little dull,skipped under the nail a little.

grandsonguitar015.jpg

The spruse top will be floating when done, it will be held in with hickory pegs.The body has been hollowed out deep to shollow and shollow to deep.There will be a benedtto pickup on the pickguard at the neck and two tedesto pickups bridge and middle.There will be two input jacks ,one for the neck pickup and one for the bridge and middle.

grandsonguitar021.jpg

Still quite a bit to go ,still shaping the top,making the pegs,etc,but I think it is going pretty good so far.Let me know what you think ,any pros or cons or questions.

Deano, this is cool as sh!t. I missed the first post when I was out for Christmas. So this is what cost you some flesh and blood, huh? I really like the chambers and top carves and tail piece. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out..

SR

Scootty, thanks for the comment,yep flesh and blood always make wood shape better.hahaha I forgot to mention, I am using bone on the neck ,on the pickguard,and some on the body.I am shaping the hickory pegs right now,to hold the spruce top on.The idea is to let the top kinda float with nothing attached directly to the top.The top will be about 1/8 th thick in places.The carving is all by hand ,and sandpaper,expecially the thumbs.haha Here's a couple more pics.

grandsonguitar016.jpg

grandsonguitar020.jpg

Lots more to go.

Just a update, got the pegs that hold the top in place hafe way there.

grandsonguitar023.jpg

grandsonguitar024.jpg

grandsonguitar025.jpg

grandsonguitar026.jpg

still a lot more to do, but you can see where I am going with it.I put a light coat of tung oil on the top,just to keep it protected a little,still more shaping and sanding to do.This guitar is going to be pretty light.I will weight it when done.Well more updates to come.

I'm not sure I understand how the floating top works Dean-oh. Looking forward to seeing more of this intriguing project.

Sr

Floating and not attaching hardware to the top is in the vain of not having anything interfear with the soundboard ( top ).Could just be voodoo, but it is worth the try.Also by floating the top,it can move with temp.changes,no glue will be used on the top.Well that is the idea.Having said all that,it feeds my need to do things a little different.If it does not get me what I want, I will redo it again.I also guess it will make working on any of the hardware a little easyer,kinda like attaching everything to a pickguard.Thanks for the interest....Ron