Drop Top Removal?

You'd need a pretty decent sized resaw bandsaw to do the first (a 17" saw like mine has a 12" MAX resaw... I'm guessing your body is more than that wide... so you'd need something even bigger....). As for steaming it, depends on how think the top is, how wide you are at the edge of the semi -hollow, how big the center block is, etc. That said, it's by NO means a project I'd like to undertake. If you HAVE to, I'd say heat the edges with a blanket and work them up first. Then use a heat blanket to heat up where the center block is and work from there. Putty knives make good workers. If the top's thinker than 1/4" (and that's already gunna make it HARD) don't bother.

My $0.02, kiss the top goodbye and just sand/plane it off with a planer of drum sander... that is, if you HAVE to do this. Why not just build another guitar with your newer ideas?

Chris

What type of glue did you use when you built it?

If it was hide glue you can detach the top using heat, a mixture of hot water and spirit, and some patience.

With carpenter's yellow/white glue (i.e. titebond) I wouldn't bother saving the top and just plane it off.

If you have a set neck you might want to remove that too before planing.

good luck.