Source for Korina?

Thanks Dave! There is nothing wrong with Galleryhardwoods. In fact I think it is the best source for figured wood and they are far better than comparable shops.

I did buy from the twice and was very happy with the wood and the prices. The problem is that they do not answer my emails in the last days and as far as I remember my last conversation with them, they dont have much Korina at the time. As I need the Korina blank as soon as possible it would be bad to wait for their answer and then beeing told that they dont have any, when I could have bought the needed blank in the meantime.

I see. I also had been waiting for a while for an answer on some birdseye. I think Larry was a bit busy last week. He did get back to me a few days ago. Maybe he's worth one more try? If not, check out Gilmer and Cook (they have never called me back yet).

Exoticwoods lists Black Limba but the last time I checked, they were out (that was mid December).

Good luck.

Thanks for your answers!

@Scott: Thanks....I just sent him a mail!

Maybe he's worth one more try?

As I said before, Exoticwoods(EDIT: I meant Galleryhardwoods and not Exoticwoods) will always be my #1 source for guitar woods. But I suspect that they have no Korina in stock at the moment, because I bough the second last blank he had some time ago, so I asked for other sources in case Larry confirms that he has no Korina at the moment.

As I said before, Exoticwoods will always be my #1 source for guitar woods.

Oh, I didn't see you saying that anywhere. I don't actually care for them for figured woods all that much. I think places like Gallery and Gilmer are a bit better since you can see what you are buying. I am aware that you were looking for places other than Gallery but the reason why I mentioned them is that Larry had it as their internet special just a couple of weeks ago. I think he actually told me that he got some in recently and that's why it was the special.

But if Exoticwoods if your place - go for it.

I think Ed considers it sacred wood. He goes on and on about it on one of his pages. It does seem hard to find but when I have found it, it is not too expensive. The only thing that concerns me with that wood is it's tendency to have worm / bug holes. If you are planning on buying some, definitely ask about this. Most wood suppliers are good about warning of defects but I have notcied that there are some out there who don't care.

Thanks for the warning dave. So far my Korina did not have worm holes, but its always good to be careful.

Excellent. I bought some from Gallery a while ago and it only has one or two worm holes. The stuff I saw on Gilmer had a warning that it had worm holes also. They seem to like the brown spots the best. The green and black areas don't seem to be tasty enough for the little buggers! Oh yeah, some Black Limba I bought off Ebay also had a bunch of worm holes (only in the brown areas).

Scott, once you have that situation worked out, send Larry at Gallery an email. I don't know if he has any left but the stuff he sold me was very good. There were only a couple of worm holes and were on the very end of the board.

That wood must be very prone to bug problems. I don't remember any other species having such problems like this.

Scott, I just was curious - are the worm holes mostly within the tan or brownish areas? It's so wierd - the two boards I have - it looks like the bugs only like a certain part of the wood. I wish I could find some info on this. I don't know why I'm so interested in it. :D

Marcel, no reply from Larry yet? If not, maybe post this question on mimf - that might get his attention - or have your tried calling? I keep pressing the issue with Gallery because I'm pretty sure he has some good quality Black Limba (or at least he did).

Have you tried Cook? They never call me back but maybe it's just me. Gilmer has some with some worm holes but maybe they are still usable? One last possibility - how about Luthiers Mercantile? I think that's about it for the places I have used. Exoticwoods is probably still out of stock, right?