5 String Bass Neck-Thru, Cherry Top

ecnal

Hey everyone. Here's my first REAL build (with actual planning and everything!

We have a 5 string bass, neck-thru. The body is a pine core with a cherry top and mahogany bottom. Neck is a 5 piece, maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple. Custom(ish) shape.

1pGvO.jpg

I3vsm.jpg

ASkG3.jpg

Hg5xy.jpg

BEnpL.jpg

YQ1pG.jpg

ei908.jpg

nZWGh.jpg

So right now I have the wings glued up (clamps off), the neck profile drawn out with measurements, the headstock designed and tuner holes plotted, the belly contour rasped/sanded and the bridge, pot, and control cavity planned out. I have yet to decide on a pickup, but I'm thinking single passive humbucking type, on the cheaper side.

I did plan this pretty good, but now I have a good feeling of the things I'll need to make/do: I need to make some permanent, decent templates. I'm thinking of using some poplar for this, as I have a TON of it available for free and it's relatively easy to work with. Body and more importantly the NECK! I should've finished the neck routing/shaping/profiling before I even glued it to the body, but I got a little overzealous.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? ANY help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

The first one is for learning, mate, and it sounds like you already have.

As Mike said, it is looking pretty good so far.

Don't use Poplar for your templates if you intend on keeping them for future builds, use a material that won't move around like MDF, ply or some man made composite.

Next time you do a neck through keep your side wing cut-offs to use as clamping cauls, it will make clamping the thing up infinitely easier and produce a better result.

I'll disagree with Mike and say that making some templates will be of great benefit on future builds.

I like the shape, good luck with the rest of the build.

Buter

The one thing that concerns me is shaping the fingerboard/neck. I think the best way to do it (especially since I don't have the fingerboard picked out yet) would be to trace the neck shape onto the fretboard blank, and cut to shape (so there's 1/4" ish extra on the ends), then use some doublesided tape to adhere it to the neck (after planing to thickness). Then use a straight board that's been jointed flat as a template and hand-route both the fingerboard and the neck at the same time.

Also, I don't have the materials (or money to buy 'em right now) to radius the fingerboard - what's everyone's opinion on flat fingerboards?

I wouldn't want a flat fingerboard.

If you can build a guitar, you can make a radius block to radius your fb.

There should be a few tutorials on the homepage of this very site.

You can also buy radius blocks from smaller parts companies that aren't overpriced - it's only a block of wood after all.

If you have a router, you can easily make a jig to radius your board as well.

B

I've heavily considered the flat vs radiused fingerboard. Most of the things I read on flat boards have been positive. A lot of people say that there's no difference, especially if you're not chording, which I wouldn't be doing on a bass.

I'm also debating fretted vs fretless. I'd say fretless is definitely the easier option, however I feel that fretted would be much better for some reason.

Decisions, decisions..

I've heavily considered the flat vs radiused fingerboard. Most of the things I read on flat boards have been positive. A lot of people say that there's no difference, especially if you're not chording, which I wouldn't be doing on a bass.

I'm also debating fretted vs fretless. I'd say fretless is definitely the easier option, however I feel that fretted would be much better for some reason.

Decisions, decisions..

I've never played a flat board 5 string but I had a 4 built by Cliff Bordwell with a flat board that was simply great. I would think you'll probably be happy with the flat board. As for playing chords, I don't do that on bass either but it works just fine on the classical guitar so that's not out of the question. Don't be intimidated by the frets, put them in if you're not very sure you want a fretless bass. I built my first bass as a fretless because it was simpler and I regret it. The thing sounds wonderful but I don't really do the fretless thing so it barely gets played. Do yourself a favor and put in the extra effort to build the bass you really want.