Help With Setting Up Electric Guitar (buzzing Problem)

Hi there

I have an Ibanez SA120 that I'm having trouble setting up. I use .009 gauge Elixir nanowebs. Since its my first time, I just followed the basic guidelines as closely as possible.

Heres what I've achieved so far:

- string action is 2.0mm on the low E, and 1.5mm on the high e (adjusted bridge and individual saddles)

- floating trem is parallel to body

My main issue is with the truss rod. If I adjust it to have about 0.3mm relief on the 8th fret, I get major buzzing around the 15th fret onwards. This is especially prominent on the E A and D strings where the notes barely even come through. Not much of a problem on the G B and e strings though.

Things seem a little calmer when I adjust it about 0.1~0.2mm, but then the notes of the G B and e string get very slight buzzing (the type that truncates the note) around the 7th to 12th frets, while the E A and D strings are fine for the most part.

Some help here please? Thanks.

I think a hump in your neck is possible. Try and adjust the neck as straight as possible and then check it with a straight edge. It is not unusual for thinner bolt necks to get a hump around were they meet the body. If that is the case you can either live with a higher action or have a re-fret with some work done on the fretboard to remove the hump. While you have the straight edge out you should check to see if you have a high fret. Wood can dry out in the winter causing a fret or frets to come loose.

Hi, thanks for the responses.

After careful inspection, I suspect that the buzzing isn't caused by the frets afterall. There seems to be some consistent buzzing all along the neck, regardless of the fret and string. I've tried capo-ing various spots and the buzz is still there.

I've ruled out the saddles buzzing since i've tried pressing down on them, but to no avail. Similarly it can't be the tuners cuz they're all firmly screwed in. Plus, i've tried squeezing them and again the buzz is still there.

Can't be the frets either cuz I cleaned them and the problem persists. Strings are fairly new so I don't think thats the cause.

I'm really stumped. Any ideas?

Could be two things:

Nut not low enough or a hump where the neck/body joins.

I'm not sure I understand.. How does a nut that's too high cause buzzing? Wouldn't one that's too low be the cause? In any case, how can I be certain?

If the nut is cut too high, when you set the action at the 20th fret, you basically have to overcompensate at the bridge to bring the action down because the nut slots are too high.

Press the string at the 3rd fret so that the string touches the 2nd fret behind your finger and measure the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 1st fret. you should have approx 0.01".

I'm sorry to pull off topic a little (AND rant) here, but I have been thinking about truss rods today, and they just don't make any sense.

I have a few guitars, and I've played very many, and it seems like having low action is more a matter of luck than anything else. I have a guitar I found for $100 that has lower action than almost every other guitar I have played (including $1800 models from the same company,) though I dislike most of its components. This weekend I played a Godin 5th avenue that had SUPERBLY low, buzz free action, sitting right next to two others that were simply average.

People on some forums have actually scolded me because I "don't understand" truss rods or action, but I've taken my guitars to a number professionals, who have charged me to accomplish what I am able to do at home.

I know many players like their necks "perfectly straight," but it seems to me that the neck should basically have the same curve as the vibrating string, and account for the vibration radius of each fretted note. A truss rod doesn't really account for that well. It produces a curve over 18 inches or so, not ~25, so the trough of the curve is well off where it should be. If your neck doesn't weather well, then you're basically screwed if you want low action.

I don't know. I understand that not all players want super-low action, and that my standard is probably a little high and my disappointment probably has something to do with the wild new england weather, but it seems like the industry has rested on its laurels in fixing this, and throws truss rods in more as a matter of custom than any real functionality.

Has anyone here ever worked with carbon fiber rods? My thinking for my first build is that I'd like to put a very rigid rod in the neck, gorilla glue it in, and then do all of the curve on the fretboard. I'm just not sure if carbon fiber would be rigid enough to hold the wood in a perfectly straight position (I have never worked with it.)

People on some forums have actually scolded me because I "don't understand" truss rods or action, but I've taken my guitars to a number professionals, who have charged me to accomplish what I am able to do at home.

I know many players like their necks "perfectly straight," but it seems to me that the neck should basically have the same curve as the vibrating string, and account for the vibration radius of each fretted note. A truss rod doesn't really account for that well. It produces a curve over 18 inches or so, not ~25, so the trough of the curve is well off where it should be. If your neck doesn't weather well, then you're basically screwed if you want low action.

All I know is that most pro's can't setup a guitar like I can and it can be frustrating.