5-way Mounting Options.

howdy folks, i have a question about mounting fender style 3 and 5 way switches. i have wired up a couple t-body guitars before using 3 way switches, but in that case i had the convenience of a control plate that was ready for mounting. on all my other guitar I have always used 3 way toggle switches which are as simple as drilling a hole. my most recent build will feature a more complex wiring scheme and needs a 5 way switch. i got one in the mail today from stewmac, and im not sure what the best way to mount this bugger is. i assume i am going to need to make a bed for it in the control cavity and take the thickness of the top down to around 1/8th in that area. what has got me stumped is how to make the little slot for it. it cant be more of than a 16th of an inch wide. i have a couple ideas for how i could do it, but there must be some simplistic common method for this out there. here is the guitar it will be going on

5452234540_64bf0f1f2b_z.jpg

CIMG1520 by Peters Instruments, on Flickr

Edited by shad peters

I have done it a few times, the last time around was done by drilling some relief holes along the length of it, then a jigsaw blade fed into the slot and cut that way. I used a small, 16tpi blade and it had great results. some painters tape applied over the area might help keep any 'grain lifting' to a minimum.

^^ That guitar is stunning ,sir.

Hey Shad,

The other option is to use a dremel in it's base with a small router bit. Clamp a guide to the guitar and run it along that. Should get nice results. Here is a LINK to a pic of the same thing on my last build. Post #61 you can see a front shot and a closeup of the cavity.

Chad.

Hey Shad,

The other option is to use a dremel in it's base with a small router bit. Clamp a guide to the guitar and run it along that. Should get nice results. Here is a LINK to a pic of the same thing on my last build. Post #61 you can see a front shot and a closeup of the cavity.

Chad.

+1

dremel +straight edge does it just fine

Hey Shad,

Chad.

+1

dremel +straight edge does it just fine

+1 to the +1 ....

that looks awesome,Chad ! infinitely more professional looking....

I gotta get me one of those dremel things.....