Semi-hollow Single Cutaway (tele Style) Sss Build

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, made the little plates for mounting the pups, they arent that pretty but whatever...

also cut the soundhole out. changed the shape a bit from the original plan.

cleaned it up for the most part, but i will have to do a bit more when i start finishing.

then i started making the rear access panel. but decided partway through that my Xacto knife was too dull, and i need a new blade

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

The reversed rear pickup, I like it! :D. It's something I always thought illogical about fender strats and the like. On my straight pupped guitars I miss body with my thin strings. This would compensate a bit. If I ever end up building an SSS guitar I'll do the same without second thought!

yeah it just made sense to me to do. and then theres the added slightly-unique and coolness factor :D

haha. im curious to hear how it ends up sounding, or if it will be THAT much different. again though, i dont use the bridge pup often, but maybe this will change that!

alright, ive moved slow the last few days. i had some issues cutting my rear panel. but finally got it cut out. the panel itself has some problems so im going to remake it, but the back section is okay, so i got it gluing on. also routed the front for binding. will do the back soon.

$32 for this bit, but it came with a flush cut bearing as well so it will be useful!

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

bearing was too big to route this one spot =( so i had to do it by hand, wasnt too bad. this is before:

IMG_3977.jpg

and yes there is a guitar in this mess somewhere! this is how you make a few clamps do the work of about 3X as many clamps!

IMG_3978.jpg

I see a cable running from you router... Or am I wrong. If I'm right, it's a good sign!! :D

ohhhh its a very good sign!

Im shocked, 100% shocked at the difference in these 2 routers.

the battery powered one, even at full charge could barely cut wood with even a small bit, and would last maybe 20 seconds before it started dying down. this other one isnt even phased by wood!

how did i ever live without it... lol

Nice! Mine was just 40 euro's and it works great even with the dull bits that where included. I did the roundover on the body of my current project with that combo. No burns, and don't underestimate the hardness of bamboo! Only downside of mine is that one of the screws in the baseplate sticks out just a fraction so it leaves scratches. Should do something about that.

Another option is to clamp two pieces of wood or other material with flat surface and straight edges to the top, creating an L shape for one side of the pickup cavity. Then do the same on the other side.

Oh wait, forgot a moment that you are using single coils. This is a way for humbuckers I use.

ah, yeah for humbuckers that would work.

and actually that flush cut bit i just bought is just a HAIR bigger than a single coil route. if did what youre saying and made sure i cut straigh, i could maybe get a good template from it. ill have to mess around with it... for the next build.

unfortunately my other build right now is 2 p90s lol, so i could do what you do for the humbuckers.

i have wood for a third build but cant decide what to do with it yet...

Yeah, I'm not even halfway done with my first and I'm already planning like three more :D I keep telling myself to wait until I finish one and can play it for a bit to see what I would do differently etc. But every time I go to the wood store I start daydreaming...

Edited by idmicheal

Yeah, I'm not even halfway done with my first and I'm already planning like three more :D I keep telling myself to wait until I finish one and can play it for a bit to see what I would do differently etc. But every time I go to the wood store I start daydreaming...

exactly. i havent really touched my first build since i finished it except a few times. i have no idea what to do with it! i dont want to sell it (wouldnt make much anyways) but i hate that its just gonna sit....

alright well im a little saddened by how the rear panel came out. i killed the original and had to make a new one, and because it was originally done by hand it wasnt perfect. so trying to make something match something else thats not perfect ended up hard. i managed to get most of the issues with filler, but the top left is a bit of a gap. still unsure what im going to do about it. may just say screw it. the filler looks like hell in the pic, but it will be painted over.

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

planning the layout

IMG_3986.jpg

this is how i did the slot last time. xacto knife to cut a small piece out, then an old broken jigsaw blade

IMG_3987.jpg

Edited by xadioriderx

(continued)

had to use my router like this

IMG_3990.jpg

to do this. was a bit scary, one wrong move and NYEEEEEEEH! could have gone through

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

holes and slot

IMG_3993.jpg

from the back

IMG_3994.jpg

my screwless install of the switch. slides in from the right underneath a piece of aluminum, the lower piece is a guide. then screw down the one on the right and it holds it snug. it doesnt budge even the tiniest bit! and its still removable!

IMG_3997.jpg

as she stands now. the white spots are filler, and this has a coat of sanding sealer on it. next is binding!

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

Edited by xadioriderx

alright!

well today i picked up some of this:

IMG_4008.jpg

thick, and slow curing. MY A$$!

i cant imagine what the super thin i almost got would be like. this thick stuff is like water!

and slow curing means about 20-30 seconds instead of the normal 2-5 seconds.

but i went ahead and gave the binding a go!

i didnt have any binding bands, and my tape was too weak, even after prebending. so i had to do it a little at a time, by hand. THAT took forever. and my fingers are covered in glue, and got glued to everything in sight :D

luckily, when i cut my fingers with a razor today, i had just opened the glue, and it sealed the cuts right up! =p

i read to wait a day or two before scraping all the way down, so i only did a little bit, which means the binding is still all grubby from my fingers, but it will clean right up!

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

can see right in the middle where i did a little 45 degree scarf joint on the binding. should clean right up and be hard to see

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

Edited by xadioriderx

alright, hammered the frets on!

wood block and a hammer. once i figured it out, it went really fast. i would never spend money on a press just for that. it was cake.

i made a how to video. itll be on my page soon, and youtube as well.

i did however run into an issue leveling.

my first fret seems higher somehow, i tried to level it but it kept getting more and more flat...

and it is pounded in all the way. it was a stewmac board, and it glued down nicely, so i cant imagine its off.. but maybe? i am thinking about pulling the fret and replacing it. ill get a pic of it later. its just getting flat like its worn, and i wont be crowning this because i dont have a tool right now. or maybe ill just leave it. ideas?

IMG_4009.jpg

this is good for cutting fretwire

IMG_4011.jpg

this sucks balls, didnt work at all

IMG_4012.jpg

my wood block, just a random scrap

IMG_4013-1.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

heres my file for the edges of the frets.

IMG_4021.jpg

partially filed

IMG_4022.jpg

all done, but bad picture, it was dark out

IMG_4025.jpg