Building A Bass

Hello,

I havent been on this site in quite a while, maybe 4 years. I have built a few guitars from scratch, but I am about to build a bass in the next few weeks.

I havent even ordered any hardware or bought lumber yet. I make my guitar necks from 7/8" maple, but I am not sure if a 34" scale bass can be that thin or not. Do yall make your fingerboards thicker on basses than you do guitars? I guess I am just wanting to find out from someone with experience with basses as well as guitars what differences I need to know before I buy my lumber.

Thanks

traditionally, guys are using a 1" blank for the start of a neck (except the laminated or Gibson style necks which are different as far as construction, but the neck profile is basically the same)

7/8" neck you have started with (for guitars) includes the fretboard? if not, no worries.... the 1" blank would be total as guys building Fender style necks are using a 3/4 blank with a 1/4" fretboard....

another thing to think about with a bass is the truss rod(s).... some guys are using 2 rods or one rod and 2 carbon fiber rods.... think of the physical structure you are building, will it take the stress exerted by the strings?

Edited by LightninMike

Mike,

Thanks for the input. 7/8" is what I used and I did use a separate fretboard, but of course it was thinned down quite a bit. I even built one with 3/4" oak with a separate fingerboard. OAK, yeah I know, but I have a habit of trying what everyone says wont work. That red oak I used sounded as bright or brighter than ANY maple neck I have heard.

There are alot of things in Lutherie that I wanted to try, but I just didnt. I built a few neck thru's but never a bolt on neck. I tried a few bolt ons, but I just couldnt get it to go. After this neck thru bass I will have to try a bolt on neck guitar. Speaking of a bolt on, can anyone tell me where I can get some threaded ferrules for the neck bolts to put into the heel?

Thanks

If you were using threaded ferrules, you can get them at pretty much any hardware store... or go to ebay.... they are all over

Mike,

I guess if you know what I meant, I called them by the right name. I will look on ebay, what size is common for bolt ons?

I have built two instruments with oak necks and fretboards, it will wanna chip if you start carving (i did trapezoid inlays) but it looks awesome with a stain on it.

Jeremy,

That is interesting, did you stain the fretboard separate from the neck or both together? I used an oak fingerboard on one of mine as well, but it sure started looking dirty quick with only a oil finish. Stain would have been a big help hiding the "dirty look". What finish did you use on the oak fingerboard? If you did them separately after the board was glued down will you let me know how you kept the stain separate on the 2 pieces? Do you happen to have a pic of it?

I have alot of "scrap" oak as well as some mahogany and black walnut that I plan on using to hone the skills before I spend money on some good lumber. I am betting a oak fingerboard would sound good on a piece of that mahogany. I think I will use that combo for my bolt on.

Its really cool turning some old wood into a "work of art", if you can call one of my builds a work of art.

Brian May of Queen used oak for his Red Special fretboard. He dyed it black and coated it with Rustins Plastic Coating. It has certainly stood the test of time, hasn't it? I used oak for the fretboard on my first build 35 or so years ago, and on four others since. I brushed on five coats of Ronseal dark oak coloured varnish and let it set for about six weeks before using it. I will use oak again in the future when I am able to continue building guitars, as I have loads of it here.