Water Based Lacquer

Hi All. I have a question and would appreciate your input. I have a mahagony body that is very porous. I had it filled, painted, and sprayed with a water based lacquer. It didn't turn out great and I smoothed out the orange peel. Now though, it's smoother but it didn't turn out great overall. Can I prime over the water based lacquer and respray with paint? I fear that if I sand the guitar back down, it will be porous again and then I'll have issues with that.

I was even considering having an auto shop spray the color that I have and finish it in whatever they use. Any advice? I'd like to salvage this body for a decent price. I have the color spray from reranch.com. Thanks in advance, Pete.

You should never ever spray a solvent based finish over a water based. It will never end up good. The other way around works OK. My advise? bite the bullet, sand the body smooth. Scrutinize what went wrong the first place (lots of info here and elsewhere, but if you get orange peel it is most likely due to spraying to dry) and make it good. Is this your first try? First tries very seldom turn out very good. You need to practice, practice and practice. Best is of cause to practice on scraps...

Were you smoothing as you went along (every couple of coats)? You could also be experiencing issues with grain filler shrinking. I have learned the hard way that sometimes, it just takes more patience and sanding. However, remember that if whatever is under your clear coat isn't as perfect as you can get it, then the end product will usually not be a wonder to behold.

KTM-9 in particular is picky about wiping down the area to be sprayed with denatured alcohol to ensure proper "melting" of the layers.

Actually that is not the first time I've seen that notion. However I have used KTM-9 for the last five-six-seven years of so and I have never had the need for doing that. I have read somewere (no facts, just some note on some forum) that KTM-9 were re-formulated some years ago and that made that process obsolete.