Cherry As Alder Substitute

Cherry (at least American Black Cherry) is best described as having tonal qualities similar to maple. Alder is very balanced without as many highs as cherry. Of course, depends on the piece and, due to the design of the strat, the material choice is somewhat less important than other designs (not trying to start a war, it's just that having your pickups mounted to a pickguard made of flimsy material which is then mounted to the body, it will negate *some* of the tonal factors of the wood). I would say go for it and tell us how it works out.

Cherry (at least American Black Cherry) is best described as having tonal qualities similar to maple. Alder is very balanced without as many highs as cherry. Of course, depends on the piece and, due to the design of the strat, the material choice is somewhat less important than other designs (not trying to start a war, it's just that having your pickups mounted to a pickguard made of flimsy material which is then mounted to the body, it will negate *some* of the tonal factors of the wood). I would say go for it and tell us how it works out.

that's a very correct point of view....thanks!!i 'll think of it very seriously!!

Ripthorn is dead on...very much like maple but even brighter in my experience...not a good substitute for alder,but a cherry strat or tele would give some serious snap....do not even consider it for high gain stuff...my ears still hurt from my last cherry super strat

......hmmmmm....i was thinking for my Yngwie Malmsteen scalloped guitar....i have no alder unfortunately....So what could i use?????i have some other alternatives woods...

Basswood and poplar also have a pretty even, balanced tone that would work as a decent alder substitute. There are probably several other kinds out there as well.

Basswood and poplar also have a pretty even, balanced tone that would work as a decent alder substitute. There are probably several other kinds out there as well.

You know i had an idea....I read a lot about toneblocks..

see the pic

http://elderly.com/images/new_instruments/30N/MM25AV_body-chamber.jpg

I could probably use an alder substitute as body wood and add an indian rosewood toneblock for reacher sound...So,what do you think??

Edited by theodoropoulos

I think you might like the Mulberry you mentioned in another post.

The red mulberry we have here in the states is not nearly as hard as cherry.

I assume what you have is black mulberry, but I think it would be similar.

haha,black mulberry is something we name here for the mulberry which has turned from yellow to deep chocolate brown...THis is a sign of aged wood,which means it will resonate but not in so high frequencies as yellow one...I am deeply confused!!haha..dont know what to use now!!!!! B):D :D

I love people who argue tone and sustain when it comes to wood choices....

Love being wrong,do you? :D

Unfortunately for me,other people's inability to hear tonal differences in different types of woods is not amusing...I just wish you could hear properly.

Ι really love this!!hahaha..it's the same argueing about food's taste:i like this food-i hate this food!!

you know there are Analysis Fourier software which shows really the distribution of frequencies!!It would be more objectiv that the personal'taste of everybody!!

Edited by theodoropoulos