Questions On Finish Repair

flyfishmike

Hello all,

Forum newbie here.

I am working on a old Kramer Strat style guitar, that someone put a pickguard on long ago. The electronics are in a cavity in the back of the guitar and the front is not routed out like a Strat. It's more like a Les Paul, in this regard. I want to fill in the pickguard screw holes, match the finish and make the repair as seamless as possible. It is an opaque gloss black poly finish.

I have done a lot of research on this repair, but have some questions:

1) Should I use wood filler to fill the holes or super glue? If filler, is there a good way to get the filler in the small hole and make sure it dries fairly quickly without too much shrinkage? I have seen people water down the filler and use syringes for this, but would worry about drying time and shrinkage. Will I need to sand the filler flat before applying color?

2) What should I use for color, marker or lacquer paint? Would an enamel paint work? Will a marker work on the filler or super glue?

I planned on using the drop fill method with super glue to build up the clear coat and follow the Dan Erlewine method of razor blading it flat and sanding/buffing to a gloss finish.

Any help/input would be appreciated

Good questions.

I've done similar repairs with car filler and over time (about 1-2 years later) had them shrink on me and change the outter finish. Didnt crack the paint, just sunk in. Apparently (so I was told) it was my fault cause I didnt seal the filler the same day I layed it.

AFTER MANY TRIAL AND ERRORS THE WAY I DO IT NOW:

Ive done this successfully many times and its quick and easy.

- Get a hardwood kebab scewer

- Cut the scewer into lengths deeper than your hole

- Sand the edge to a rounded point as if it's been in a pencil sharpener (I just hold and twist on my linisher for a couple seconds)

- Make a blob of wood glue onto a piece of scrap cardboard or something

- Dip the pointy end of the scewer it into glue

- Shove it hard into the screw hole twist etc so its super tight.

- Leave them to dry overnight

- Cut it flush with some nippers and sand flat.

Holes gone and filled with wood, no need for filler.

If the holes are too small for your screwer, drill them out a bit.

No filler, wood only = great repair.

Edited by demonx