Toneblock Dimensions

for anyone unsure of what a toneblock is

MM25AV_body-chamber.jpg

tbh, i dont think you get a clear answer.

somebody might be able to tell you the depth of toneblocks used by musicman... but that is mahogany in basswood... what use is it ever going to tell you about rosewood in paduak ?

I guess the main criteria for a toneblock, if you wanted to bother with such a thing, is that it should sufficiently couple with the bridge and the neck, so maybe as deep as the deepest bridge screw/post and deeper than the pickup routes

the musicman approach seems to be an attempt to get solid mahogany tones with a lightweight body, which it does to a certain extent - but not fully.

rosewood tones with a paduak weight body doesnt appeal as much since both are heavy woods :D

so... can i ask, what are you trying to achieve?

paduak sounds pretty good by itself, what are you hoping to get out of combining it with a big block of rosewood... other than extra work and the potential for tone voodoo

well,

i have in my mind the excellent tone of rosewoods.on the othe side i have not worked with padauk body again...I think its going to be bright so i wanted to add some more overall frequencies..I intend to make the body chambered,so there will be much less wood,as far as the weight concerns....correct me if i am wrong,please!!

if your aim is to tame the brightness of paduak then i dont think rosewood would be the way to go. tbh, chambering it will do a fair amount anyway... but i would go for alder or mahogany

imho paduak sounds awesome as it is. It does have a fair amount of high mids but this is really useful in a band situation. i wouldnt call it bright either, its a good complex tone all by itself

i would recommend making a guitar or two out of paduak and/or rosewood before you start guessing what the combination of the two might be. But i would say, as a guide that a solid paduak guitar is a lot mroe usable than a solid rosewood guitar

if your aim is to tame the brightness of paduak then i dont think rosewood would be the way to go. tbh, chambering it will do a fair amount anyway... but i would go for alder or mahogany

imho paduak sounds awesome as it is. It does have a fair amount of high mids but this is really useful in a band situation. i wouldnt call it bright either, its a good complex tone all by itself

i would recommend making a guitar or two out of paduak and/or rosewood before you start guessing what the combination of the two might be. But i would say, as a guide that a solid paduak guitar is a lot mroe usable than a solid rosewood guitar

ok,i will think of it very much...but why you say so about a solid rosewood guitar???why isn't is so usable???

my second guitar will be a strato out of cherry....Shall i try the toneblock there???

dont get me wrong, i quite like the sound of a rosewood guitar by itself, like the fender rosewood tele's for instance

but how well does that tone actually work when competing with drums, cymbals and bass? rosewood can be quite warm, and if not careful is easier to lose in the mix than paduak with its poweful mids

dont get me wrong, i quite like the sound of a rosewood guitar by itself, like the fender rosewood tele's for instance

but how well does that tone actually work when competing with drums, cymbals and bass? rosewood can be quite warm, and if not careful is easier to lose in the mix than paduak with its poweful mids

ok.i think i you convinced me about Padauk....hahha..well probably cherry needs rosewood,or will it work itself well???

i have read that alder is the substite of cherry....haha..i need the oposite...so??leave alove the cherry as well??

I agree with Wez- padauk has a great tone. In fact, I think adding a 'toneblock' to padauk would be like adding a nitrous kit to a missle. You could do it, but I don't think it would do a whole lot. :D

Cherry, on the other hand, could definitely benefit from chambering as well as a 'toneblock' of some sort. Anything that might add bass frequencies to the acoustic quality of the build would be good.

I agree with Wez- padauk has a great tone. In fact, I think adding a 'toneblock' to padauk would be like adding a nitrous kit to a missle. You could do it, but I don't think it would do a whole lot. :D

Cherry, on the other hand, could definitely benefit from chambering as well as a 'toneblock' of some sort. Anything that might add bass frequencies to the acoustic quality of the build would be good.

well,i wont add it to padauk!!!

as far as cherry concerns,what sound qualities does it have??tremble or mids??