Can't Go Further With Adjusting Intonation

Ham

can you flip the saddle around, sometimes its enough to get you what you need

you need to start measuring scale length and checking the bridge is correctly installed before we go any further. measure from the front edge of nut to middle of 12th fret and double it. now measure from front edge of nut to bridge saddle and see what you get

as an example. lets say front edge of nut to 12th fret is 325mm then front edge of nut to saddle will be 650mm plus compensation. It will never need to be less than 650mm, as a rough guide it should be 2 or 3mm more on a low E

check the measurements first! I have seen people start moving bridges because of intonation issues that turned out to be caused by a dud string

What wasn't mentioned is that you initially set your intonation up at the FIRST string saddle. I adjust the saddle about 3/4 towards the headstock prior to positioning the bridge. Always leave a little leeway room on both sides. I usually angle the TOM bridge slightly over 1/8" back. This should give ample room for intonation adjustment on the bass side. In your case, being a 7 string, you might need to go a little more.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the wait. Been very busy but the closest a saddle can do is about 651mm and even then I'm still getting issues with it being too flat on the 12th fret but too sharp past the 12th fret and extremely sharp at the 12th. So too flat at 12th and too sharp at 24th.

The happy possibility is that you have a bad string. Also different string gauges take different amounts of adjusting to intonate. So a string change could still help. That said, Your pitch should be off in the same way (sharp or flat) anywhere on the fretboard. If it isn't a bad string you have one or more bad frets.

Two things:

1) Use new strings if you aren't already. Older strings can stretch and start doing weird things.

2) Put a capo on first fret and see if you can intonate the 12th fret harmonic (on 13th now). If the nut's not cut properly/is out too far you may not be able to get optimal intonation, so take it out of the equation.