Mary Kaye Tele

After a round of Tele styled guitars for comissioners I decided that I'd take some of the leftovers and build a Tele style guitar for myself since I don't have a straight up tele of my own. I have not been very dilligent taking pics, but I've got some and I'm in the finishing phase right now. Thought I'd toss out a few in progress shots before putting a finished one out.

Specs.

Body: Swamp Ash

Finish: Mary Kaye White (Target EM6000 Waterbourne Lacquer)

Neck: Wenge

Fingerboard: Wenge

Fretwire: StewMac #149

Inlay: Mother of pearl face and side dots and mother of pearl Logo

Bridge: Joe Barden Vintage Tele

Tuning Machines: Sperzel Locking

Pickups: Dimarzio Area-T (DP418 - Bridge, DP417 Neck)

Pickguard: Tortoise

Jack: Electrosocket

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

The Wenge wasn't too hard to carve, I'd put it about as difficult as Indian Rosewood... I mainly used a micro plane and a stewmac dragon rasp. It went pretty quick. No we're near as difficult as another rosewood like pau ferro or cocobolo would be. I've got a set neck I started a while back made of Cumaru... Now that **** is hard. I fully dread carving that one.

Nice. Wenge looks great. How did it carve? I recently carved a neck with rosewood chunks in it and it really sucked.

Tell you what... I'm so f'n done with waterbourne finishes...its crap all crap...

I decided that I liked the satin finish that was getting straight off the gun... looked a lot like the Fender Highway series finishes. So I went to install the String ferrules. and teh finish cracked around it so I said screw it I'm relicing the body. That's the last time I'm doing waterbourne, I've got an acoustic build that I started with it, I'm going to let that cure for a couple of weeks and consider that as a sealer coat and spray that with Nitro...

The waterbornes are just too brittle. I'll post a pic later today. >^|