Walnut Rockbeach Cb-iii Pickguard Model Progress...

Actually, it is walnut top and back over a tulip poplar middle and is a solid body. There is zero finish or sealer on it. Raw wood. I also need to round the edges and give it a belly cut and forearm relief cut. It's going together really nicely though...

CB-III_Walnut_1s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_2s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_3s.jpg

As a player that meanders around the upper fret area when soloing, that guitar looks very uncomfortable to play beyond the 15th fret... And the use of an actual strat pickguard on a not really a strat body is not working for me. And I can't say much for the neck since its a Warmoth. I say go ahead and take it down closer to the strat shape at least around the lower horn side of the pickguard. Not a fan yet, sorry. The lines on the bass side of the body look good.

Edited by 3DogNate

As a player that meanders around the upper fret area when soloing, that guitar looks very uncomfortable to play beyond the 15th fret... And the use of an actual strat pickguard on a not really a strat body is not working for me. And I can't say much for the neck since its a Warmoth. I say go ahead and take it down closer to the strat shape at least around the lower horn side of the pickguard. Not a fan yet, sorry. The lines on the bass side of the body look good.

Actually, I overlayed the outside dimensions of mine over a Strat and mine actually has a little MORE room than the Strat... There is a bit more beef at the neck heel as it transfers more lateral energy into the body for a richer tone. I find when it is rounded over (as the early stage photos here do not show yet), it has little affect on playability on the upper frets, but my guitars all sound monster rich...

No need to be sorry, man... If everyone liked it, it would probably be too "vanilla" for me! :D I sincerely appreciate your honesty. :D

Edited by Boggs

• 2 weeks later...

Here's progress on the finish... 3rd coat of Murdoch hard oil. Still not rubbed out or anything like that as more coats need to go on. It'll still show you how the grain looks and the nice contrast with the tulip poplar.

CB-III_Walnut_4s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_5s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_6s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_7s.jpg

Still a little tweaking of the finish to do and setups after things stabilize with strings... I wanted to get it together for a guitar show in Buffalo this weekend. I'll get to plug it into an amp tonight after my wife goes to work. She's sleeping now... I tried it out on my computer to make sure everything works. Not the same as breathing fire! It plays and balances great. Even the slight relief cuts allowed by the thinness of the caps do make a difference in terms of comfort. They're not visibly obvious.

CB-III_Walnut_Done_1s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_2s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_3s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_4s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_5s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_6s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_7s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_8s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_9s.jpg

She's a touch on the bright side, but easily managable with the tone control. Has all the Stratty quack and sparkly cleans and turns into a snarling monster on overdrive! This is a sweet guitar for sure!!! Gotta do more of these. I think they have the potential to be a commercial success...

By the way, this guitar is in the May guitar of the month contest if at all interested in throwing a vote or two at it...

Yep, you should be stoked with this guitar, it has lots of really gorgeous elements. I love the neck, the body shape and the sandwich of woods in the body, it evokes pleasant memories of the beach and eating maxi bon style ice-creams. You should work on this design as something you can sell, here I imagine the trick would be to get as much feedback as you can, my advice would be I agree with Nate, if you designed your own scratchplate that followed the contours of the body it would look killer. I love the wide neck join, but be aware that not every one will like that feature. I do, however, like this guitar a lot, looking forward to seeing more :D

Just got back from the Joe Brucato and Joyous Noise concert... Jeff (lead guitarist) played the new CB-III went NUT over it!! He played it on one particular song and I have to say it sounded KILLER! It was a far better fit for the song than his much loved LP... A longtime friend of his who is a longtime fixture in the local scene as a player rushed the stage after that song and asked Jeff what it was he was playing because it sounded SOOOOOOO good. He handed it off to him to inspect it and went back to his LP. I got to meet Joe (Jeff's friend) after the set and he just plotzed over both guitars I brought. He and Jeff kept commenting on how good they FEEL to play and Jeff gave me a big promo shout-out before the night was over and promised that we are going to be sitting down and talking over exactly what he wants me to build for him... He is determined to have a guitar built by me now for sure! I also got a message from a player in Nicaragua who is from here on a recommendation from Tommy Bianchi (a RockBeach owner) and he is ready to talk about a special build for him and I also received another e-mail from a player on another forum asking to talk about a build for him... This guitar is the one that is making it happen!!! I hope to get the recording from the concert up and posted soon, but I am dead tired right now. I had to go from a funeral to the gig after 3 hours of driving and I have to prepare for the show. Thank you so much for the positive feedback everyone. It really does mean a lot!