Neck Joint Strength

First post here - this forum is one heck of a lot of information to take in :) I especially liked the sticky on mistakes not to make!

I'm building my first guitar - an iceman body (poplar) with a Carvin BN neck... I was going to do mahogany with a walnut top, but after reading some of this site, and the price of poplar, I'm going to start with a nice white with some custom waterside emblems.

I received a CAD drawing which I've printed full scale and put onto a template. The following images are of the neck joint, and I'm a little skeptical as to the potential strength, and was hoping for some other opinions... should I move the neck joint further in? fully support the heel of the neck? or is the proposed contour probably fine? Any opinions/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

http://photobucket.c...tockguitarbuild

It depends on what type of neck joint you are wanting to use. A bolt-on design takes its strength from the flat mating face so as long as that square(ish) piece of the body is strong enough, ie. not thin then you're more than likely good. A set-neck joint mainly takes strength from the three main glueing faces and in that respect the proximity to the cutouts becomes an issue. For reference, look at photos of a Gibson SG set-neck construction because they are (in my opinion) right on the borderline of what is "strong enough"....they do have their problems though.

For how an Ibanez bolt-on's neck pocket looks Google "ibanez iceman neck pocket". There's a few photos out there showing them although in my opinion they are quite small. Any larger and you are well into the safety zone methinks. Alternatively, look at Warmoth's body offering for reference however they stick to Fender-ish sizes rather than the "original". http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Radical/Iceman.aspx

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of making sure I have the full joint (ala the Warmoth Iceman's), but I may try to recess the neck plate so I can contour it a litle bit. I think most neck plate's are 1/8", neck pocket is supposed to be 5/8". so on a 1 3/4" thick build, that leaves an inch for stability. Should be enough I'd think. Would you agree?