Build Attempt 2.... Musicman Axis Copy

First build ... sucked. Lots of oversights, lots of little things wrong, and a few big things I just absolutely screwed up... Live and learn!

Anyway, Instead of a "neck through self design", I am simply copying one of my favorite guitars in my arsenal.

Plans ->

Neck (already working on neck) ->

Maple fretboard, ebonized black.

Maple /wenge/ Maple laminate neck. Found a very nice peice of quarter sawn maple, so I cut it in half, and laminted it with a 1/4" stock of wenge.

Medium stainless frets

I have it cut out for 24 frets, but I'll be sleeping on that before I glue stuff up tomorrow

Debating on inlay stuff....

Body -> Im waiting on the body for the neck to come out well. I was thinking swamp ash or mahogany/maple cap. Body mounted floyd of course, Air Classic Bridge, Air norton Neck if swamp ash, and EVO 2 bridge, EVO 1 neck if mahogany.

Not much to show for the moment, Ill take better pics when I get the neck sorted tomorrow.

dscf0123q.jpg

interested in how this comes out - i have a neck & genuine pickups waiting for one of these & just need the time to actually start it!

good luck!

you and me both brother :P

where the hell did you get pups and neck from?!?! Thats almost blasphemous! haha

I found a nice drop top, 3A flame maple, so Ill probably be going the mahogany route.

was thinking about inlays, and I was thinking off set squares would kick ass. But here are some options (I can do red or blue as well, these are just ones my wife has laying around lol) Thoughts appreciated. Guitar will most likely be red. Opinions welcome and appreciated.

purple :

dscf0129w.jpg

Pearl :

dscf0130so.jpg

Pearl hollow dots :

dscf0131h.jpg

the pickups came from a guy on evilbay in the states - he'd bought a joblot of them (OEM). I payed about £30 ukfg each for them. but if you want to buy them dimarzio or MM won't sell you them (Mr. VH is very **** that way)

however after speaking with a guy that works for DM he told me with a wink what else would to the trick if I couldn't lay my hands on any more.

Try DM DP155F's in zebra & you'll be buying "exactly" the same thing.... ;)B)

I tried little crosses as markers once - it was an experiment when I was repainting some crappy fingerboard that was painted black - I masked out the white dots to get crosses:

402322_2916678928536_1180211877_n.jpg?dl=1

Though doing it the proper way as an inlay would probably be a pain. Just something to consider..

Otherwise, the squares look pretty cool :)

Got a lot of work done yesterday/today.

Im pretty excited with how this coming along, the neck scarf came out better then I expected it to, and the grain is much better then I was expecting it to be. Its no PRS 5A flame neck of course, but I am pretty pleased I managed to find a good board. I will be staining the neck a deep rich red/brown mix so Im excited at how deep the black sunk into the grain.

dscf0147j.jpg

dscf0144q.jpg

edit: sorry, couldnt resist :P most will be sanded off of course...

dscf0149a.jpg

Edited by bob123

Well got it rough cut out. Im gonna route the bottom wood to match, then drum sand it down to final shape. Im too chicken @#%$ to do the inlays on the neck, so I will let sleeping dogs lie for now. But I got most of the neck finished, some fine tuning on the headstock, and doing the heel, and I will be able to fret and finish this weekend.

dscf0159nj.jpg

Edited by bob123

My oh My how I wish I had a bandsaw righ tnow -.-

anyway, glue joints came out pretty solid for me. Not 10000% perfect, but No super obvious gaps, anyway. The body glue line is visible, but im hoping it will sand back well enough. In any case, this is getting REALLY exciting for me :) I hope the guitar continues to be built smoothly.

dscf0178x.jpg

Neck is finished, shaping wise. (obviously pictures were taken BEFORE I finished lol)

It perfectly fits into the axis body, which means I did SOMETHING right ;)

dscf0180v.jpg

Oh yeah, neck holds into joint wihtout bolts ;)

dscf0181nf.jpg

Anywho, got body rough cut to shape, and working on contouring sides. It will test my patience, so I will only be doing small bits at a time. Ive come this far, Im not about to screw it up now

dscf0182v.jpg

Still pleased with this neck joint so far. No surprises anywhere I can see.

dscf0184t.jpg

The Koa top looks great, is that a chip you need to fix in it?

thanks man, and yes ISH. The body is cut out oversized. Koa is probably the hardest wood I've ever worked on so it chipped when I cut it. Im pretty sure my final dimensions will make that disappear, once I get that way.

If it's still there, I will inlay a peice to match and cram in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife has my damn camera -.- I am stuck using my phone to take pictures, and its not sending them for some reason... I managed to get ONE picture through, but since this picture I refined the body shape more, did the neck route, finished the back (3/4" round over around the edges), stained, and am currently oiling the back (want the back done before I finish the front).

This whole project is just coming out great, Im pretty much in love with how its going :)

20120814170626.jpg