First Go At An Archtop.

• 1 month later...

Squaring up the saddle with my block plane. Got to love that made in canada sticker that came off a Gibson USA case :blink:

2012-11-27152713.jpg

2012-11-27152740.jpg

2012-11-27152723.jpg

Glued in.

2012-11-27155528.jpg

2012-11-29145657.jpg

Since I matched the grain of the saddle to the end graft there was a lot of end grain pointing up, I wasn't sure how well that would hold up over time so I doused it in thin superglue to seep into the grain and hopefully stabilize and seal it a bit.

2012-11-29140605.jpg

Sorry for the out of order pictures, photobucket went crazy on me and I didn't notice they were out of order until I started posting so I hope they make sense.

I also have the fingerboard radiused and fretted. I will be glueing it on tuesday and shaping the headstock and heel and I will be done until January 22nd when I start on the back and start finishing it up.

I also decided on doing a more vintage looking tobacco burst in nitro lacquer.

• 3 weeks later...

All very useful to see happening Ryan.

One thing I can't figure out though, is why your workbench is set up for a lefty. The end vice should be on the other side otherwise you end up planing into the vice thread as opposed to "to the dogs". The chop of your leg vice is on the wrong side also. You might also want to glue in a couple of pieces of suede leather into the vice faces to protect your work and make the vices more grippy. Otherwise, nice split twin French bench with storage to boot :-)

You seem to be very organised these days when it comes to the availability of good workspace and tooling. What comes out of the other end of the technical college for you?

All very useful to see happening Ryan.

One thing I can't figure out though, is why your workbench is set up for a lefty. The end vice should be on the other side otherwise you end up planing into the vice thread as opposed to "to the dogs". The chop of your leg vice is on the wrong side also. You might also want to glue in a couple of pieces of suede leather into the vice faces to protect your work and make the vices more grippy. Otherwise, nice split twin French bench with storage to boot :-)

You seem to be very organised these days when it comes to the availability of good workspace and tooling. What comes out of the other end of the technical college for you?

I guess I'm confused on what you mean about the workbench. I have two vices on it. So say the front of the bench is the edge that I face when sitting at it, I have one vice on the right corner of the front face because I stand to the left of what I'm planing and use my right hand to push. The second vice is on the left edge so it's perpendicular to the front face, that's the vice I use in any of the pictures holding my workboard up, I like it there so the workboard is off the left of the bench and out of the way and it also helps to have one there so I can back it out and extend the bench if I need to since I always seem to lay a guitar with the body on my left and headstock on my right it's nice to be able to back the body past the edge of the bench using the vice if I need to. I use cork instead of leather, I only put it in there though when I'm going to be cranking on something or if it's just about finalized. Usually the stuff in the vice is rough stock and will still be sanded or shaped or cut off. I hope all that makes sense. I'm really not a fan of this bench though, it's very small dimension wise and doesn't have as much storage as you would think, a lot of my stuff is just shoved in wherever it fits because the drawers are so small, I can barely fit my rasp in one diagonally. I think what would make it better would be to add a couple inches in width and length to the table and add some kind of tool hanger and shelf system above the workbench as well as have the drawers on it but yeah overall it's a decent bench, very compact.

Yeah I've been pretty lucky with workspace so far. Either next summer or the summer after once I'm done with college I'm converting a barn into a shop, the lower level is 30x40 feet I believe and it has concrete walls which will be nice for keeping the temp down in the summer. It's a little rough though so it will be a work in progress but when that starts I'll post the process of here if anyones interested. I've invested a lot of money in good tools in the last couple years and lucked out this summer at an auction getting a grizzly 6" jointer and a 36" timesaver for $1400.

What comes out of the other end of the technical college for you?

What do you mean, sorry it's been a day and a half for me and I'm pretty beat.

Although ultimately it depends on the work involved, the configuration you have looks like it is not designed for working on the sides of long workpieces where you pop a long workpiece into a leg vice and secure it up at the other end across the face of the bench with a sliding deadman or whatever. In this case you would want to be planing "into" the vice rather than out of it. The position of your end vice is obviously determined by it being on the opposite end to the leg vice. Your vice is a wider affair with a horizontal chop rather than the vertical chop found in leg vices.

I have had the intention of building a split Roubo style bench with leg/tail vices and a sliding deadman for a while now (and in fact I think RAD caught onto this too) and this configuration is pretty much the basic gold standard for non-lefties. Leg on the left, tail on the right, tools at the left rear, dog line a short distance in from the front edge which is itself flush It doesn't mean it won't work for you of course however it is a little backwards for working on longer lengths of wood for say, furniture. Guitars? Obviously it works for you. I'd see the left-mounting tail vice a little restrictive for working on the flat face of tops secured against dogs perhaps.

Shame that the storage is scant. I intend on a set of organised trays rather than drawers on the basis that drawers - being deeper than as not - collect things you don't use at the bottom. Trays stay organised for longer.

But anywayyyyyyy......! Enough bench geeking.

What did you use to cut the dovetail? Do you have a matched mortice and tenon template? The workholding jig would be cool to see.

Although ultimately it depends on the work involved, the configuration you have looks like it is not designed for working on the sides of long workpieces where you pop a long workpiece into a leg vice and secure it up at the other end across the face of the bench with a sliding deadman or whatever. In this case you would want to be planing "into" the vice rather than out of it. The position of your end vice is obviously determined by it being on the opposite end to the leg vice. Your vice is a wider affair with a horizontal chop rather than the vertical chop found in leg vices.

I have had the intention of building a split Roubo style bench with leg/tail vices and a sliding deadman for a while now (and in fact I think RAD caught onto this too) and this configuration is pretty much the basic gold standard for non-lefties. Leg on the left, tail on the right, tools at the left rear, dog line a short distance in from the front edge which is itself flush It doesn't mean it won't work for you of course however it is a little backwards for working on longer lengths of wood for say, furniture. Guitars? Obviously it works for you. I'd see the left-mounting tail vice a little restrictive for working on the flat face of tops secured against dogs perhaps.

Shame that the storage is scant. I intend on a set of organised trays rather than drawers on the basis that drawers - being deeper than as not - collect things you don't use at the bottom. Trays stay organised for longer.

But anywayyyyyyy......! Enough bench geeking.

What did you use to cut the dovetail? Do you have a matched mortice and tenon template? The workholding jig would be cool to see.

I think I see what you are saying about the bench. I have had it set up multiple ways and this has been the best way for me to work on stuff I've found. The nice thing is the bench dog holes aren't just one line there are a bunch all over so it doesn't really matter where the vice is because I can put a dog just about anywhere on the bench. I'll send you a picture of the bench cleared up on the 14th when I get back to the shop.

For the dovetail I used a router. If you look at the picture of the dovetail you shoudl see a hole in the center of it. I bolt the neck down to the jig. I believe I have a picture of the jig somewhere let me dig around a little...

Here is one of the jig for routing the dovetail into the body.

2012-02-07113813.jpg

This marks the center hole for screwing the neck down. I think there is a picture in this build somewhere of that.

2012-02-07110223.jpg

I don't have one of the actual neck jig but basically it is two pieces of plywood held together at a 90 degree angle, the neck is layed fingerboard down and screwed to the jig with the hole on the end of the neck where the dovetail gets routed. Then there are two lever style clamps that hold the heel down flat, you clamp the jig into the vice and then route the dove tail, it similar to the one for the body but cuts the other end kind of.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some updates on this build. I got the neck mostly done now so now I'm working on the back, hopefully I can get that glued soon and get to finishing up this build.

2013-01-15105901.jpg

I put a block on the back of the headstock when shaping it so I can hold the headstock level on a spindle and edge sander. The block also helps for reducing blowout when drilling the tuning holes.

2013-01-15111315.jpg

2013-01-15112708.jpg

Inlay time :rock I don't know why I find this fun since it's just a simple inlay but It's one of my favorite parts of a build. The inlay is flame maple. This first picture is paper superglued onto the wood to use as a guide.

2013-01-15144653.jpg

Got it all out of one piece of wood without breaking it.

2013-01-22103958.jpg

2013-01-22145418.jpg

2013-01-22145404.jpg

I mixed some ebony dust in with the superglue here.

2013-01-22150301.jpg

Now I just need to finish sanding back the glue and it's done.

2013-01-22171556.jpg