Tru-Oil: How Much Is Enough?

jeremyp

Within a week I'll be finishing the body to my current project. I've seen many examples of a Tru-Oil finish and have decided to take a crack at it. My question is, how much oil do i need to get? Tru-oil is sold in 3, 8, and i believe 32 oz quantities. My question for anyone having used tru-oil is approximately how much does one use?I'm looking to get a glossy finish on this guitar body.

I did a really thick finish with an 8 oz bottle and still had some left.If you are finishing a porous wood you'll need to fill the pores first.

Personally I don't use tru oil if I want a glossy finish.It can be done obviously but IMO Tru Oil is best as a natural finish like this(random pic,not my guitar)

Mayones_Setius_GTM_Lizard_SHPR1_D5.jpg

I use tung oil and they are similar .Like Wes said ,eight onces are more then enough.When I use oil ,I sand the piece to 320 grit , then I sand in the first coat with 220 grit.I sand it in until ,when I wipe it off it still looks wet.Really give the wood all it will take and then a little more.Let it dry for at least one day ,two is better.Then go back to it.